Is my chicken poorly?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Cwoodie78, May 22, 2019.

1. Cwoodie78

Cwoodie78 In the Brooder

Jun 12, 2018
    Hi, I’m fairly new to keeping chickens, they are my first lot and they have just turned 1 year old.
    For the last week or so my blacktail has been showing the signs of being broody, she has been alert and jumping off her nest for food and water on a daily basis. However today I saw a real difference in her, she’s sat looking lathargic with her eyes closed, when touched she makes a gentle bleating noise. A gentleman has told me it’s all part of the broody stage but I’m not convinced, I think she looks poorly and I’m tempted to take her to the vets . Does anyone know what could be wrong with her? Thankyou in advance

Attached Files:

The Chicken Whisperer likes this.
  2. The Chicken Whisperer

The Chicken Whisperer Songster

Jul 4, 2018
    I have a broody hen right now and she looks a bit like this. How long has she been sitting on her eggs?

Cwoodie78 and Hencraze24 like this.
  3. Hencraze24

Hencraze24 Songster

May 9, 2019
    Sussex, WI
    Same here. Exactly how long has this been going on for?

4. The Chicken Whisperer

Jul 4, 2018
    Mine has been on for about two weeks. Yours?

5. Cwoodie78

Cwoodie78 In the Brooder

Jun 12, 2018
    Really! Approximately just over a week. So is this normal behaviour for a broody chicken? She has been so alert so far.

The Chicken Whisperer likes this.
  6. Cwoodie78

Cwoodie78 In the Brooder

Jun 12, 2018
    She has been sat for just over a week but alert and coming off for food etc,but just today she has been like this

7. The Chicken Whisperer

Jul 4, 2018
    Has she only been like this for one day? Have you seen her drink or eat since she became like this?

8. Cwoodie78

Cwoodie78 In the Brooder

Jun 12, 2018
    Yes she’s been fine until today eating and drinking as normal, I’ve tried to encourage her to eat today but she’s not interested, she’s not opening her eyes at all.

9. The Chicken Whisperer

Jul 4, 2018
    I would either dip my fingers in water and dribble a few drops down her beak or use a medicinal dropper. Just try to get a few drops of water on her beak and she should instinctively drink it. It should wake her up a bit too.

Cwoodie78 likes this.
  10. Tycine1

Tycine1 Crowing

May 26, 2009
    David, Chiriquí, Panama
    One idea: Chickens that don't move a lot can get lice or mites, please check under her wings and at the base of her tail, underside... preferably wearing light colored gloves. Just give her a gentle petting, scratching there and examine closely the dirt that falls off. Is it moving?
    Another idea: Has she been taking a massive dump when she gets off of the nest? This should be one really large, stinky mess as she saves it up so as not to dirty her nest. How does her vent look? Clean? Dirty? Swollen?
    Another idea: Feed her a hard boiled egg mashed up, shell and all, mixed with some of her normal feed & something to moisten that up with to make for easy bites, water, unsweetened yogurt or applesauce would work great for this. This treat will enable her to pack on some calories quickly while giving her some much needed protein.

You didn't say if she's ACTUALLY sitting on eggs, or if this is a case of merely exhibiting broody behavior so I'll ask... Is she actually brooding eggs?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: