Is my chicken sick or brooding?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by SandraL, Apr 18, 2016.

1. SandraL

SandraL New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    Last week I caught my Rhode Island Sex-Link hen, Tammy, brooding an egg she had laid. I removed the egg, but she continues to lay in the nesting box brooding. I take her out of the box twice a day and put her in the yard where she does a low cluck then returns to the same box. Sometimes she will eat ravenously. She has not laid any eggs since. Does anyone out there know what I should do?

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you have joined us.

She sounds broody. You have two choices, let it run it's course or try a broody breaking method.

Personally I let it run its course as long as the broody one does get adequate nutrition and the hormonal surges settle down quickly.

But it seems to me most members prefer trying to break an unwanted broody experience. If that's your plan you can do a search of the forums for information on the how to do it.

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC - you have some great advice already so I'll just say hello!

All the best
    CT

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

6. SandraL

SandraL New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    Hello & thanks, to all you nice chicken loving people! I think I'll let nature take its course, as Sunflour suggested. Do you know how long this should take?

7. SandraL

SandraL New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    Thanks, that's a very interesting article.[​IMG]

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    If she's broody you could buy a fertile egg or two, to let her sit on and satisfy her desire to be a momma. Or she might accept a baby chick or two, from the feed store.

9. SandraL

SandraL New Egg

Apr 18, 2016
    Thanks for your reply! I have a large RIR rooster, so all of our eggs are fertile. Also, I have 12 other pretty aggressive hens. I'm afraid a chick or two might not survive. And that would break our (Tammy's and my) heart.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by