Is my chicken sick or handicapped?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Habib Ikram, Feb 13, 2017.

1. Habib Ikram

Habib Ikram Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2016
    I just got a 5 chickens yesterday. One of them is a bit different than the others. Its eyes are closed most of the time, theres a bit of a liquid forming on the eyes. It doesn't move much, usually stays were it is with its eyes closed, usually stands and doesn't move. I didn't really see it eat or drink much. Its back toe is actually two toes, is that normal? Its one toe with a second one kinda growing off it. The others don't have five toes. I gave the chicken some eye drops and put some medicine in its water. Please reply with what I should do, any questions you have with the chicken or what you think this is.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2017
  2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Most chickens have four toes but some breeds have five, so it could be the breed.

What you are describing sounds like illness to me. What medicine did you put in the water?

1 person likes this.
  3. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I agree with @SunHwaKwon it does sound like your chicken is sick.

Can you post some photos?
    What type of medicine did you put in the water?

If you have an existing flock, it would be a very good idea to keep the 5 new chickens quarantined (house them away and separately from your flock) until you can evaluate their health.

You mention that one is staying by itself and there is liquid forming on the eyes. Having a discharge from the eyes can cause by number of things. Contagious respiratory illness is always a concern. Look for other symptoms - thick or bubbly/foamy discharge from the eyes, swelling of facial areas, mucous coming from nostrils, coughing, wheezing, sneezing.

Discharge from the eyes can also be from being pecked or having debris/dust in the eye. Look for any type of wound or pecking injury - this can sometimes become infected. Other causes could be if they were previously housed in an area that had a lot of fecal matter - ammonia is irritating to the eyes.

Flush the eye with saline, remove any pus, discharge or debris that you see. You can apply Vetericyn eye gel or Terramycin eye ointment to the eye to see if that helps. If symptoms don't clear up or worsen, then antibiotic treatment may be needed to address any secondary infection that she may have.

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

1 person likes this.
  4. Habib Ikram

Habib Ikram Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2016
    oh, thank you for the detailed explanation. It doesnt really have any of the symptoms you mentioned, but ill keep an eye out for them and tell you incase they appear. Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by