Is my chicken sick or? HELP!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ThinkingChickens, Aug 8, 2011.

1. ThinkingChickens

ThinkingChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2011
    My head girl Mabel, Delaware 26 weeks, wasn't acting right when I brought out snacks tonight. We was under our deck, a little lethargic, wings out, sleepy eyed. Normally this is the vocal chicken who will mow everyone over to get to treats. She's mean too. I went under the porch (trying not to see spiders I might add) and picked up up. She fell asleep in my arms which IS NOT like this girl. She usually pecks at me or jumps right down if I pick her up. After about 10 minutes she jumped down, ate a little, drank some water and is walking around. She's not acting herself though. He tail is kinda down and she's definitely lethargic. What would you do next??

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Do you think she could be egg bound? [​IMG]

3. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    might be heat stress, what have the temps been like for you?

4. ThinkingChickens

Feb 18, 2011
    I didn't reach in her vent, but she doesn't seem heavy down there. Should I do a finger check (never done that). I don't believe she's laid today. The temp was in the low 90's today but the girls were allowed to free range and the deck and side of the house are very shaded. They have ice water too.

She's literally closing her eyes standing up. This chicken is usually a demon so I knew something was up immediately.

Update- she's gone in her coop and is just sitting in there. It's a floor/roost system. She might be trying to lay so I'm going to give her a little more time and check on her again. She's a pain in the butt, but she's a good leader and keeps the rest of the girls in line. I feel so bad.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2011
  5. ThinkingChickens

Feb 18, 2011
    Any other ideas? Should I just leave her be? She's drinking and I saw her eat a little. Can I wait and see in the morning or is that a bad idea?

6. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Vitamins and electrolytes in the water, maybe isolate her until you figure it out. Have you seen her poop? Are her wings droopy, is she panting or sitting on the floor instead of perching?

7. ThinkingChickens

Feb 18, 2011
    I have not seen her poop at all, though I tried. Her wings are droopy. No panting, her tail is at half mast. She did regain a little cheek color. I've put her in a dog crate in the garage for the night which she wasn't too happy about (gave a good bagawk about that) and she's perching in there. We don't have a lot of things on hand besides DE. Sucks to live in the boonies sometimes.

8. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Let us know how your girl is doing? [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. ThinkingChickens

Feb 18, 2011
    She's asleep on a perch in an open style dog crate in the garage. i figure perching is a good sign.... I hope. My husband is going to check on her before work. He's hoping to spare me if she doesn't make it. It's hard to tell at night because she's asleep anyway. No labored breathing though. Ugh, so sad.

10. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Does she feel hotter than usual? I would stick her feet in a pan of water and see if she perks up. You can add sugar to her water, do you have Gatorade? Sounds like she may be hot. Have you checked her for mites?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by