is my chicken sick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by thewolf1039, May 5, 2017.

1. thewolf1039

thewolf1039 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2017
    i have 12 3 month old pullets i was out side feeding them
    when i herd one sneeze does this mean it is sick
    ive taken good care of them so i dont know how they would get sick
    but i know it is possible

thanks to all help [​IMG][​IMG]

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    One sneeze does not mean your chick is sick just as one sneeze doesn't mean you are.

Here's how to tell if you have a sick chicken. Sick chickens are silent. They don't complain. A sick chicken doesn't care if you touch it and handle it where before they may have objected strongly.

A sick chicken won't eat. A sick chicken may have stopped pooping or is pooping thin green and white and watery stuff.

A sick chicken and one who is in pain will hang out on the outskirts, often facing a corner, holding their tail down and flat. They may have their eyes at half mast or will be nodding off.

If the sneezing increases and is accompanied by a runny beak and eyes, then you have a problem.

3. sue25

sue25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2017
    Hephzibah GA
    I have some De Uccle porclen chicks they are three weeks old and feathering I have been feeding them medicated chick starter but seem to have very loose stools and looks like pasty dirreah. Col. redish brown

4. sue25

sue25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2017
    Hephzibah GA
    Are they sick the temp is kept at about 75-80 in there brooder.

5. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Watery diarrhea may indicate overheating. Indeed, if your entire brooder is 80F, it's much too hot for three-week olds.

Ideally, your chicks should have a cool zone in which to shed excess body heat. They may be going into heat stroke if you are keeping the whole brooder that warm. Think how uncomfortable you would be if you were wearing a feather cape in a hot room.

You should be reducing the temperature under the heat source each week, weaning the chicks off heat so that by age three weeks, if the ambient temperature is around 70, you should be able to turn the heat off during the day, and have only a very minimum of heat at night.

6. thewolf1039

thewolf1039 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2017
    thank you every one [​IMG]

7. shoaibbandukda

shoaibbandukda Just Hatched

May 5, 2017
    hello
    i had a four chicks which are 2 months old , one of them is no more [​IMG] , he was suffering with newcasttel deases he stoped eating and drinking , now i have 3 left 2 male chicks 1 female , they are taking long breath and open mouth everytime and for longtime .. i give them wheat, millet , glucose water, plain water, onion , sometime pieces of chicken meat and they love to eat chicken meat.
    now iam scared for losing them . kindly guide me what i should do now, what i should give them feed and open mouth and long breath is normal? ... waiting for your reply

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by