Is my chicken sick???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Taytay26, May 22, 2019.

1. Taytay26

Taytay26 In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2019
    She has been sleeping all day and not eating much her face looks a little big

Attached Files:

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Crowing

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Yes, definitely sick. put her in a cage or pen separate from the others, where she can have warmth and privacy. Best guess at this point, , I'd say it looks like maybe a respiratory infection or respiratory problem of some kind. Has she had eye or nose discharge, sneezing, breath smell strange? Is she still eating and drinking? How long have you had her? Where did she come from? Do you have other chickens? See if you can get some injectible Tylan from your feed store. Injecting into the breast muscle is best, but it can be given orally. Do you have a vet you could take her to? She's very sick.

3. Taytay26

Taytay26 In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2019
    We don’t have a vet that can treat her but she hasn’t been eating but I did force-fed her and gave her water she had yellow crusty on her nose but that is all I gave her VetRx for her nose to help her how do I give her orally with tylan

4. Taytay26

Taytay26 In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2019
    The crazy thing is she was acting fine yesterday but out of nowhere she started acting like this. I have her in a dog cage in my guest room so she is by her self she likes it when I hold her but I wash up before I see the other birds

5. Taytay26

Taytay26 In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2019
    We have 18 chicken and I had her for 3months

6. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
  7. Henriettamom919

Henriettamom919 Crowing

May 1, 2019
    North of Seattle
    I meant to add I'm so sorry this is happening! It sounds like you're doing everything right up to this point! I think if you can get her some Tylan quickly she has a good chance! :hugs:hugs

I got distracted chasing and pinning down one of my own who had a huge hair wad hanging from her mouth, panicking. We cleaned out the vacuums yesterday and I cut quite a bit of hair from the brushes. She must have found a bit on the ground and ate it so I had to pull it from her throat :rolleyes:

8. Taytay26

Taytay26 In the Brooder

Apr 6, 2019
    Thank you so much I’m going right now and do you know how much to give her she is only two months old

9. chicknmania

chicknmania Crowing

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I personally have not given Tylan orally OR injectible for that matter. In searching on this site I found 0.25 ml per pound given three times a day for five days. So if she's four lbs, that would be one ml three times daily. You can get a syringe at the drug store. Dribble carefully into the side of her beak.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: