Is my chicken sick???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Erik, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Erik

Erik New Egg

Mar 11, 2012
    Landis, NC
    Let me start out by saying that I am relatively new to the chicken farming. So about a year ago my wife bought me a 12 baby chickens. After the whole process of raising them and predators I had 8 left and came to find out that 6 were roosters. Needless to say I now have only one rooster and 2 hens. So my question is. During the mating process the rooster has really done a number to the one hens back. He has the feathers ripped off to the skin. The hen over the last day or so has not wanted to come off the roost and i have not seen her eating or drinking and seems very lethargic. What I am wondering is it possible that she has an infection??? If so what can be done, and if she does lay are the eggs safe( I got a white egg the other day up to this point they have been brown and it was laying on the ground in the middle of the coop.)????

2. Erik

Erik New Egg

Mar 11, 2012
    Landis, NC
    Here is a pic of her. I guess i already know what the outcome is going to be, I was just hoping there is something i can do to save her. [​IMG]

3. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I would remove the rooster immediately, and bring her inside and give her a warm bath. Clean as much dirt off her back as you possibly can. Dry the area really well and slather it with neosporan or something of the like (just nothing with pain relief, anything that ends in "cain"). If the other hen isn't picking at her, return her to her friend. I would either sell or eat the roo, or get about 8-10 more hens for him. I think your chicken will be fine with some TLC. She's likely staying on the roost because she doesn't want that rooster making her already worn back worse, can say I blame her. If you really must keep the rooster, get your ladies some saddles to prevent wear on their back feathers. A little moist feed will help encourage her to eat (of which I would let her her eat her fill while you have her inside cleaning her up) and some vitamins wouldn't hurt either. Good luck, hope your girl feels better soon!

4. Erik

Erik New Egg

Mar 11, 2012
    Landis, NC
    Well thank you for the feedback but unfortunately I just lost her. I am just hoping it was an infection and not something else, the other two birds appear to be fine but I will be keeping a close eye on them. I have more chicks and I don't want them getting sick.

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I'm very sorry to hear that. I would guess infection, it looked pretty dirty. Good luck with your new chicks!

6. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    If your roo starts doing this to another one of your hens I would buy saddles for them!! Sorry for your loss and agree, probably an infection.

7. Erik

Erik New Egg

Mar 11, 2012
    Landis, NC
    Thanks guys, i will look into saddles.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by