Is My Cockatiel Gonna Lay An Egg???

Rainstorm

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Lake Placid FLorida
My oldest female cockatiel (2 1/2) (has already had 1 set a year ago)

Last few days she has been in and out of the nest box, shes always sitting on the roost outside it, she goes in maybe 1-2 times a day for a few mins then comes out

Today though shes been in about 6 times. maybe 5-15 mins each time. I took a peak in there a few times and shes not completly sitting down (like a hen) but sitting somewhat down all fluffed and turns toward me and hisses

Shes very inactive when out of the box, just sits on the roost fluffed up and gets ticked off when one of the others gets near her

she does have a bonded mate but I havnt seen any mating going on?

shes in the box right now in fact

Have you felt her vent for egg bum yet?

Those symptoms sure sound like she wants to lay an egg. If she hisses at you, she is feeling hormonal and wants you to leave her alone. She could just lay an infertile egg, much like a chicken would. Once she gets that over with this, she'll probably be back to normal.

Some people actually buy fake eggs to put in the box, so that the bird finishes her hormonal behaviour faster. Some people risk getting bitten, and take the eggs out completely. I really don't know which is the better option.

Back
Top Bottom