Is my cockerel going to attack me?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Johnn, Feb 5, 2013.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    I have a Cuckoo maran cockerel who is about 30 weeks old, ive had him from day one because his mother hatched him out with his sister and he was always the friendliest out the two chicks. He had recentley learned to mate so it has give him a boost of confidence considering he is the boss (apart from his dad who is above him). Recentley when i go to feed them he has started arpoching me with his head lower down and like walks slightly horozontal then does something that looks like the mating dance but it isnt quite that, its looks different. Do yous think he is leading up to attacking??

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    He's thinking about it.

3. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    I hope he doesent :/, this is him:
    [​IMG]

4. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    He attacked me yesterday.

5. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    To stop him from attacking you again, you need to establish yourself as the top rooster. One way of doing this is to never let him mate when you are around him. Also, if he tries to attack you again, pick him up and carry him around nestled in one of your arms while you feed the chickens or etc.

6. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    Wont it just make him want to attack me more if i stop him mating??

7. DavidKerk

DavidKerk Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    According to a book I read about six months ago, no. Good luck! :)

8. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    I know this wasn't directed to me, but some people won't let him mate when they are around because it is thought to be a way of him showing dominance. You want to show him that you are the boss. There is a pecking order, and you are at the top of it. You should never let him think you are scared of him.. don't walk around him, make him move for you. You could also carry a "rooster stick".. i do this. If he comes at you, give him a pop with it. My great grandmother used to carry a fly swat with her. If the rooster came at her, she would pop him with it. I also saw her follow one around for about an hour and make him back away from her to show him who was boss.

9. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    Well youve already pointed out something im doing wrong, after he attacked me a stayed out his way and always walked around him with space between us :/

10. PSJ

PSJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Sabine Parish, La
    Show him who is boss. After a few weeks of that, he shouldnt give you any more problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by