Is my comb normal? Injured? And are my chicks too skinny?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by texasgurl, Apr 17, 2012.

1. texasgurl

texasgurl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    North Texas
    My chicks are around 4 weeks old (I think) and all are growing their combs nicely except for this Maran (I think that's what she is). This is my first flock and I don't know if I should be concerned with her comb or not. It's kind of crusty on top but no sign of a comb. What do you think?
    Also, I've read on here that you shouldn't feel the chicks breast bone because that means they are too skinny. All of my babies must be starving! They always have their medicated chick food mixed with chick grit in their kennel and I feed them meal worms and blackberries almost daily. They get to spend time in the backyard a few hours an evening. I don't see visible worms in their poo. Should I feed them something to fatten them up?
    The black and white one is the one with the comb problem. Her name is Lily.
    Thanks for all your help!
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. ellie-x-x-x

ellie-x-x-x Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    her comb looks absolutely fine to me! remember she is growing so it may just be that! maybe wait a week or so and see how it looks then!

as for skinniness, they look great! you can feel the breast bone on all chickens - it wouldnt be good it you cant!!

they are beautiful!!!

1 person likes this.
  3. Panth

Panth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    It looks just like a normal peacomb/walnut comb is supposed to look. They do look very different from straightcombs. Very beautiful pullet! They will eat as much as they need to, if they get hungry, they will let you know with very LOUD SHRILL cheeps. Don't worry about seeing the breastbone, they are just growing into their bodies. Very nice looking chicks.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2012
  4. texasgurl

texasgurl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2012
    North Texas
    Thank you guys so much for your quick response. I was very worried the other girls were pecking her comb or something! What causes one Maran to have a peacomb or walnut comb and another to have a single comb? Thank you so much again for all your wonderful information. And thank you for saying my babies are good looking! I'm very proud of them and just love them to death!

5. Panth

Panth Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    Not sure about why one would be straight and the other pea-comb. It is possible it is either a crossbreed with another type of chicken, not pure Maran. Or it could be a Dominique.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by