Is my coop and run big enough

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by MemphisChickens, Jul 3, 2011.

1. MemphisChickens

MemphisChickens Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    I have 6 chickens. 3 are 17 weeks old, 1 is 14 weeks old and the other 2 are 11 weeks old. The coop I have is 5x2 and the run will be 6x6 ( I'm still working on that). Is this big enough for my 6 chickens? They also get to run the yard when I am outside in the am and pm. Probably about an average of 1-2 hours a day.

2. Tenmore

Tenmore Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Ogden utah
    I would say the Yes is that 2 ft deep? high? by 5 ft wide? I would say go a little bigger if you can they need space.

3. OkChickens

OkChickens Orpingtons Are Us

Dec 1, 2010
    Owasso, Oklahoma
    A 5x2 coop is 10 sq ft in the coop. A rule of thumb is around 4 sq ft per bird of inside and 10 or so sq ft of space outside. For six chickens a 4x6 or a 4x8 coop would be great space wise with a 5x10 or 6x10 run as well. What is the weather like around your area?

Nate

4. MemphisChickens

Mar 31, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    This is a coop I am recycling from a previous unknown chicken owner. Yes, it's 2 feet deep and 5 feet long and about 4 feet high. Also how big does a nesting box need to be. The nesting box on the coop seems really big, it's 18 inches across and 14 inches deep. Do you think I could put a divider in to make it 2 boxes or will 9 inches across and 14 inches deep be too small of a nesting box?

I live in the South in Memphis TN. zone 7.
    The weather is hot/humid in the summer and mild in the winter. It rains a lot in the winter and maybe snows once or twice in January or February.
    The coop/run is in the shade, it's a heat index of 105 today.
    Since I've lived here, the past 15 yrs., in January the coldest it's gotten has been about 14 degrees but that is rare and maybe lasts a week. Average I would say maybe 32-40

I will try to post a picture of the coop.
    Thanks!!

5. MemphisChickens

Mar 31, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    OK after reading your post again I think I will do a 12x12 ft run off of the coop and add the 3x2 dog house I have with a nesting box in it, in the run. Just to give them another coop option.

6. MemphisChickens

Mar 31, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    Nate,
    I would to have a Lavender Orpington! Maybe next spring, when I'm finally settled in with the chickens I have , I will try to find somewhere to get a few. Do you recommend anyone?

7. MarinMama

MarinMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    That is just over 1.5 sq. Ft. Per bird when most recommend at least 4 ft. Per bird....and that doesn't include nest boxes...you will need at least 2 of them and you will need to be creative to make sure they do not use more sq. Footage.

8. MemphisChickens

Mar 31, 2011
    Memphis, TN
    I have come to understanding this is will be adequate for 3 chickens at best. I am going to make another coop with a nesting box and roost, but have both coops in the same 12x12 foot run.
    That should be ok right?

9. wava1vaughn

wava1vaughn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2011
    Cairo Ga.
    Hi from Ga. I think your birds are going to be really cramped but it is a start. I have a total of 5 pens.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This is a look at 4 of my pens on the end of the last one I have a 20' turkey run. My other chickens get to free range on a rotation for each breed.

10. stcroixusvi

stcroixusvi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Western NC
    My Coop
    Quote:Now see? This is how it starts! Go for a bigger run if you can, you won't regret it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by