Is my coop big enough?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by clukcluckquack, Mar 24, 2017.

1. clukcluckquack

clukcluckquack Just Hatched

Mar 24, 2017
    My coop and run attached is 70 sq feet total (the run and coop is in a large metal rectangle with a roof, with a cut out door so unlimited run use). 17.5 sq coop (not counting the two large roosting poles or the three nesting boxes), and 52.5 sq ft in the run. We have 6 chicks that are going to go in the coop in two months. I live in Central Oklahoma where it is warm. I was thinking about getting a duckling to live with the chicks (please don't hate) and I want to know if it is big enough. I will let them out to free range for about 30 min to a hour each day , and there are several roosting poles and jungle gym type things for the chickens to climb around on in the run. Please tell me what you think, and sorry this was so long [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Minimum space per chicken - Coop = 4sqft & Run = 10sqft but bigger is nice [​IMG] Leaves room for "chicken math" [​IMG]

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    As the dimensions of your coop currently stands, I would suggest that it is not sufficiently large to accommodate 6 standard size birds, let alone a duck. Ditto your run. The figures stated by c/nanny are minimums, and as stated - ideally both coop and run should be as large as one can manage.

4. clukcluckquack

Mar 24, 2017
    Even with them free ranging for about an hour a day and like 10 roosting poles everywhere and an A frame for the chickens to climb on?

5. clukcluckquack

Mar 24, 2017
    I have also read that the minimum square footage of four per bird is only in northern climates where the chickens are locked in their coop when it is super cold or it snows. Where I live it rarely ( like once or twice a year) gets below 10 degrees. The chickens would never be cooped up in their coop [​IMG]. They would have permeant access to their run and their toys

6. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Neither your run or coop is sufficiently large IMO. Having said that, we are all entitled to do as we wish.

7. clukcluckquack

Mar 24, 2017
    OK thx[​IMG] if you count the sq footage of the roosting poles and the nesting boxes, the coop is about 24 sq feet and I was thinking about building a mini upstairs in the run where it's just some roosting poles and places to walk around which would add like 10 sq feet to the run

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  8. lutherpug

lutherpug Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2014
    Kansas City, MO
    Your current setup allows for a little less than 3 sq ft per bird in the coop. This could potentially be enough but you'd have give them significantly more free range time. 30-60 minutes a day isn't enough if your setup is where they will spend the majority of their time.

The square footage guidelines are helpful but not set in stone. That said, I have 6 hens in a coop that is 30 sq ft with access to a 60 sq ft run and I think we are overcrowded, even free ranging a couple of hours a day.

Things for chickens to climb on and roosting bars aren't a substitute for space. Can you make your run bigger? Can you let them free range for several hours a day?

9. clukcluckquack

Mar 24, 2017
    I can't make the run bigger as I bought it but I can let the chickens outside longer on the weekends and during summer

10. clukcluckquack

Mar 24, 2017
    I don't know if this matters but my coop/ run had 5ft of height between the roof and the Roof that I can put stuff for the chickens that's what I meant by A frame it is a jungle gym thing where long sticks connect to A's that are made from wood that are on the sides and very top of the A

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by