Is My Coop Big Enough ???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by capon, Sep 13, 2009.

1. capon

capon Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2009
    North Dakota
    I HAVE A 6X8 COOP AND A 8X 12 RUN , I HAVE 8 STANDARDS AND 4 BANTAMS , I CLEAN DROPPINGS DAILY AND CHANGE LITTER WEEKLY ,ALSO THEY R LET OUT TO ROAM THE YARD FOR SEVERAL HRS A DAY. the breeds i have r 4 red stars, 2 turkens 2 bantam crosses which r quite small , 1 silkie bantam , 1 cochin bantam, 1 silver lace wyndotte and i cuckoo maran. all hens ,they seem to be doing good only 1 egg a day so far. They r given lots of veggie scraps ,eat alot of bugs when out in the yard and i handle them daily to check them over
    anyhow so is the coop and run big enough? or should i consider less chickens

Last edited: Sep 13, 2009
  2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

You have 4 square feet for each bird in the coop an 8 square feet each in the run so I would say your ok but dont get any more birds without going bigger.

3. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

"They" say 4 sq ft per standard chicken, 2-3 sq foot per bantam for the coop. I'd say you have enough room. Keeping the are clean, and providing plenty of outdoor time will greatly enrich their space.

4. capon

capon Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2009
    North Dakota
    Thank you ! i 'm glad to know they will be ok, i was worried about them being crowded ,and no i wont get anymore till i can go bigger!

5. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

That is the only thing really keeping me from getting more chickens lol We have them at a roomy 5sqft per per in the coop, and over 11 sqft per outside in the run...

I keep telling myself no room no room no room....when i get a bigger coop OR another one then we can chat [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by