Is my coop gonna be big enough?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Mikey7492, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Mikey7492

Mikey7492 New Egg

Aug 14, 2011
    Well this is my first post here on BYC. I was just wanted to get an opinion about my Coop and Run being large enough to have roughly around 40 chickens. The Coop is aprox. 12ft by 12ft. and bout 10ft high. My run is 16ft wide by 24ft long. Just wondering is that plenty of room for all my girls. I'm in the works now planning on building a turkey coop and run for the turkeys that are coming next spring early. What yall think?[​IMG]

2. kv1211

kv1211 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2011
    A little bit small. Try to have atleast 4 sqft per chicken in the coop and 10 sqft in the run. Right now you have 3.6 sqft/chicken in the coop and 9.6 sqft/chicken in the run. You can add a second level in the coop to have more space per chicken. Also remember that if you have roosters then you'll eventually need more space for your little chicks.

3. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us.

Well, what most say is that at least 4 sq ft is recommended per bird in the coop. However, if they have enough roosting area and they don't have to be in the coop for long periods of time in the winter, they may be fine.
    Recommended for the run is 10 sq ft per bird, but bigger is better.

Good luck [​IMG]

4. Mikey7492

Mikey7492 New Egg

Aug 14, 2011
    Thanks guys!! They have plenty of space to roost. I can add some more roost poles and I have no trouble adding on to my Run, which is kinda what I was wanting to do since I was about to build one for my Turkeys.

5. stubbornhill

stubbornhill Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Shapleigh, Maine
    Welcome to BYC! And I would have to agree. If you back down to 36 chickens, you will be at the 4ft mark. Make sure you post pictures so we can all see! [​IMG]

6. Mikey7492

Mikey7492 New Egg

Aug 14, 2011
    Will do!!![​IMG]

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Mikey, after having chickens for three years now, my personal experience is that, it's better to have a little extra room, than to have your flock a little bit crowded.

My flock free ranges most of the day during the spring, summer and fall months, but sometimes Ohio winters are terribly harsh, and they're inside alot. One year, I had a bit too many and I they started pulling eachother's feathers. So I try to keep things a little bit roomy.

Your coop sounds just a tiny bit small for 40 chickens. Maybe you could keep a few less, like 35 or so.

At any rate, sounds like you've got a nice setup, and good luck to you!

I've just bought my first two turkey poults this year. A Blue Slate and a Royal Palm, and I just love watching them grow! You will definitely enjoy turkeys!

Take care,
    Sharon

8. 1 lucky dad

1 lucky dad Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    West Farmington,ohio
    Yes that is big enough. Meyers hatchery recommends that each hen has 2.25 sq ft. 18"x18" per hen. You definetly do not want to over crowd your turkey's they will go cannibal.

9. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    We don't heat our coop in winter so our chickens don't spend any time in it other than to lay eggs and roost at night. In winter when they can't free range other than walking our shoveled paths we have a tarp that covers 3 sides and top of run. Our coop SQFT-age is much less than the 4 SQFT/ bird. Never had a problem as long as they free range or have plenty of run space.

ETA- last winter coop was 2.3 SQFT/bird and this year will be 2.7 SQFT. We're diligent about opening the coop door at first light [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  10. Mikey7492

Mikey7492 New Egg

Aug 14, 2011
    Appreciate it guys,,,Well I guess I will keep em around 35 or so, and like chicmom says better to have plenty of room, so I'm probaly gonna add on to my run. I live in Central Ms. so the winters here are not bad, but the summers are brutal!! My girls dont spend much time in the Coop except for roosting and laying. When I'm home to keep an eye on them I let them out to free range and boy do they love to do that!!HA:lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by