Is My coop idea big enough??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CluckinMa7nUp, Apr 18, 2012.

1. CluckinMa7nUp

CluckinMa7nUp New Egg

I was wondering if my coop idea is big enough for my current chicken stock. I have 6 barnyard mix breed pullets that are currently 1-2 months old and a 1 month old barred rock roo. our coop idea is 6'long 4' wide and 4'tall. Is this bigh enough or is there plans of your or ideas to make one best for them? please help.

Jess

2. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Well, by the 3 square feet per bird rule, your coop would be big enough, but unless they will be let out on occassion, it might get messy quicker than what I would like. We currently have one pen with six pullets and a cockerel that is 8 by 12 and I think it is just right for us because it stays reasonably clean. We even take turns letting our birds out. But anyway, you wouldn't need to make yours 8 by 12, but I would recommend at least 5 square feet per bird. Just my opinion.

3. CluckinMa7nUp

CluckinMa7nUp New Egg

Well we plan on fencing a run area around them total of 10x10 with the coop on the edge fenced area plus a couple hour of free ranging a day... so still ok?

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  4. TaylorHobbyFarms

TaylorHobbyFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Absolutely. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. Th0mmyV

Th0mmyV Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2011
    Enough space, unless chicken math comes along.......
    And in more than 50% of chicken owners it comes!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by