Is my coop raccon proof?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Scooter&Suzie, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Today my dad worked on my coops for me. He put those barrel bots on the doors. Can a raccoon open them? I got another coop off of craigslist. There were three big holes for ventaltion... We are going to put a screen over it. I'm pretty sure a rat or something could squeze in. I could always test my idea by putting my rat in there... but never mind. Then there is a corner off of the door, which is pretty big... a kitten could get though. I'll go get some pictures to show you all what I mean.

2. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Yes, raccoons can open barrel bolts. If a toddler can easily open a latch a coon can too. You're better off using hasps with a padlock or at least a caribiner through them. Put them near the top and bottom of the doors so they don't pry open an unsecured door section enough to get in. Yes, raccoons can go through a screen- use hardware cloth and heavy fence staples (not a staple gun) or washers and screws to secure it thoroughly. Then screw a trim board over top of all the fastenings for extra security. As for the kitten-sized hole, you will need to either rebuild the door entirely or securely attach extra lumber over the hole. Don't underestimate what a determined predator can do to gain entry into a coop, especially if that predator is a raccoon.

3. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Okay looks like I have some remoddling to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by