Is my coop ready?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Madisan, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Madisan

Madisan Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2015
    Florida
    Hi guys!
    So I have 9 baby chicks that will be ready to move into the coop in about 2-3 weeks. I had to start over with chickens because my last flock had a respitory disease that was killing my chickens off one by one so I just decided to cull the rest. I am trying to do anything I can to try to prevent these chickens from getting it. I took everything out of my coop and cleaned it with bleach and I raked out the top layer of soil. Do you think I did enough? Is there anything else I can do? I would be very aggravated if I took all this time raising these chicks and they ended up getting it!
    Thanks!

2. Oglan

Oglan Out Of The Brooder

Oct 18, 2015
    New Hampshire
    I would mix 10 parts water to 1 part bleach this will kill about anything in the coop. Wash all surfaces well, for the hard to get areas use a spray bottle with the solution and spray anywhere you cannot reach, let the coop air out for a week to ten days.

3. BeachMomma

BeachMomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2015
    NC
    A few questions that would help us to help you :)
    1) What size is your coop and run?
    2) Is there adequate ventilation?
    3) How long ago did you cull the flock and do you know what type of respiratory disease they died from?
    4) Will you be using the same feeder & waterer that your old flock used? If so have you sanitized them?

4. Madisan

Jun 5, 2015
    Florida
    This is my coop
    [​IMG]

5. Madisan

Jun 5, 2015
    Florida
    The building next to the coop is just a shed. As you can see my coop is ventilated. I sprayed all the fence with water and bleach already.
    My coop is 6 x 10
    Yes their is ventilation as it is only chain link
    I do not know what type of disease they had and they were culled 9 days ago
    And no I was planning on buying new feeders/waterers

6. Madisan

Jun 5, 2015
    Florida
    I am having a nesting house built for them right now but that won't have to be sanitized

7. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I might see part of your respiratory problem in the photo. If that fenced area is your coop, where is their shelter? How do they stay dry or out of the wind? What protects their food from getting damp? They need some sort of shelter.

8. rIrs roost

rIrs roost Sir Crows A lot Premium Member

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    From what I've read, I think you should've waited several months to a year after it was cleaned. I'm very new so wait to get some information from experienced people.

9. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    This also depends on what exactly they had.

10. rIrs roost

Aug 20, 2015
    Rockingham NC
    X2. Just realized you said that that was just a building and not a coop. They definitely need shelter.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by