Is my coop safe?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by theflockmomma, Jan 28, 2013.

1. theflockmomma

theflockmomma New Egg

Jan 28, 2013
    A few months ago, my chickens got sick. I have no idea what they had, and the only symptom I noticed was sneezing. I told a local farmer of the situation, and he came and took the chickens, as I just didn't know what to do, and couldn't kill them myself if that is what was to be done.

My coop has been empty now for about 2 months. I want to get new chickens, but I am afraid of germs still being out there. It is a wooden coop, so there just isn't a way to completely clean it.

Is there anything I should do to the coop and run before adding new chickens?

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Scrub the coop clean with a disinfectant, if you haven't already. I use Nolvasan disinfectant (used by veterinarians) whenever I need to do a big cleaning job. Make sure it dries out and leave it empty for 6 weeks.

Also, welcome to BYC. [​IMG]

3. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    I don't know what you're weather is like right now, but if it's above freezing, make sure the coop is really cleaned out. I have used a pressure washer on mine to make sure there is nothing left on floor, walls, ceiling, everything right down to the bare wood. I have then used a garden sprayer filled with water and some bleach to spray everything and then just leave it to dry. I was so worried I did the bleach mix a few times, no rinse in between. The bleach will break down into salts that are pretty harmless after a while and will not hurt the chickens. One thing, if you do this, please make sure that you don't use too much bleach in the mixture, and that you have any doors and windows open for fresh air. This is one situation where a little goes a long ways.

4. theflockmomma

theflockmomma New Egg

Jan 28, 2013
    Clean it, and then wait 6 additional weeks? Wow! This is discouraging... What should I do in the run?

5. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Non activated Oxine AH is also a very good one. It is antifungal, antivirual and antibacterial. So it pretty much is going to kill anything that might remain in the coop. You can fog and spray everything. The upside is that there are no noxious fumes, it's very safe. You can even fog a coop with the birds inside with NON activated Oxine AH as well as use it in waterers to keep them clean.

6. theflockmomma

theflockmomma New Egg

Jan 28, 2013
    Is it costly? And would you recommend a waiting period?

7. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

You know, I can't for the life of me remember what I paid when I bought it. I ordered it on line since I couldn't find it locally but it couldn't have been to expensive. I think I got mine off of Amazon. And since you mix it with water a gallon last a long time.

As far as an additional waiting period... I'm not sure what to suggest, sorry! You said your coop has already been empty for a couple of months but I don't know how long some of these respiratory diseases live in the environment. I'm really wanting to say that if you completely strip out the coop and spray it and the run down with something like Oxine that will kill viruses a couple of times your probably good to go. But you might want to do some research online about the diseases and see if you can find any recommendations about that just to be sure.

8. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    http://www.revivalanimal.com/articles/how-to-use-oxine-ah.html

Here's an article about Oxine and the place I bought mine from. Thanks for posting the oxine Cafarmgirl! I had forgotten completely about that!

forgot...after you clean it with either the bleach or oxine, let it air dry, completely. If you're really worried, you can always paint the inside. That will seal the walls and floor and make it less likely anything, that probably wouldn't still be there, could become a problem. Even some of the real nasties are killed by either of these products.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
  9. MoototheCluck88

MoototheCluck88 Chillin' With My Peeps

What kind(s) of wood is it made of

10. MoototheCluck88

MoototheCluck88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Some woods can be harmful

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by