Is my coop winterized enough?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kimmybow, Oct 25, 2011.

1. kimmybow

kimmybow Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Boxborough
    Hi all! I need advice from those who went before me [​IMG] I have read the winterizing information on here, but I just want to get some info from the general public. I live in Massachusetts (cold winters). My coop is about 5 1/2' x 5', maybe about 5 1/2' tall. It is wood. It used to be a kids playhouse. I have reinforced the walls (most of them, anyway) with old pine paneling. I put roofing shingles on the roof, but have't done the peak yet. For the winter I put plexi in the 5 windows (most about 2'x 2' approx). There are gaps where my roof meets the walls. I have some pics:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also have a hanging door. There is a gap at the top of the door, but for the opening I plan on using the hay bale method, plus hanging vinyl strips over the chicken door. Here is a pic if the top of the opening:

[​IMG]

Am I good? I want to make sure there is ventilation, but no draft. Are they really that sensitive to drafts? Does this look like it's going to be too drafty?

Thanks ahead of time for all your help!

K

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  2. Minniechickmama

Minniechickmama Senora Pollo Loco

Sep 4, 2009
    Minnesota
    I think if the gaps are at the top, that will lend to ventilate, however, the "bad air" is heavier and settles along the floor. so you need some air flow along the bottom without being drafty.
    I know that isn't a great amount of help, just thought I would give my 2 cents on it.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Drafts= uncontrolled breezes at the level of the birds, blowing cold air on them.

Ventilation= vents at or near the top of the roof which allow the chimney effect or the release of gasses and humidity to escape, as warmer air rises.

4. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Fred's Hens :

Drafts= uncontrolled breezes at the level of the birds, blowing cold air on them.

Ventilation= vents at or near the top of the roof which allow the chimney effect or the release of gasses and humidity to escape, as warmer air rises.

Thank YOU that is the easiest to understand explanation I have read to help me "get it" [​IMG]

5. kimmybow

kimmybow Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    Boxborough
    Thanks all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by