is my Daffy Duck a black Swede? or what?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mommy9994, Jun 13, 2008.

1. mommy9994

mommy9994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    I got Daffy and Jemima from TSC in March. The pen they were in said blue/black swede and ... something else, it was a brown baby anyhow. The other customer that was there getting ducks "sexed" them, and said all the blues left were male-- she bought all the female-- she declared the black one that we picked female-- she was backward--I kinda get a giggle now thinking about it-- wonder if she got all male:lol:

Anyhow, Daffy HAS to be the craziest looking duck I've seen! I've looked at feathersite, but the black swedes there don't have a green head. I generally don't like crests-- I wouldn't have gotten him had it been appearent then, but Daffy's "do" has grown on me, I couldn't imagine his perty head any other way:) ANYHOW, what can you tell me about Daffy, other than he's the prettiest bird you've ever seen;) and you genetics folks, what would the babes look like, and would they have Daffy's do? When do ducks start to breed/lay? Jemima's not laying yet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. poultrykeeper08

poultrykeeper08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2008
    Agawam , Ma
    I had a black swede drake that looked just like yours except mine has angle wing . I would say yours is a black swede drake !

i think the babies would be 50/50 and some will have crests but i dont know anything about genetics .

I just know that i had the same pair as you did and hatched out 50/50 and some had crests lol

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Daffy is a cutie and yes he is a black swede.
    Tha lady sexing them was obviously wrong.

4. mommy9994

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    thanks-- I was hoping so:D The green head had me confused though. He's only had the curl for about 2 weeks-- isn't it cute (am I a giddy duck mama or what:lol:)

when can I expect her to start laying? and do you see the green spot on Daffy's bill?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Jemima should start laying in a couple months.

I wouldn't worry about the green spot on Daffy's bill. It might be he bumped it.

6. mommy9994

Mar 10, 2008
    central VA
    oh, good, I was worried it was a fungus or something-- what with thier heads always under water LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by