Is my daughter hurting my chicken holding her?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ahen, Oct 25, 2011.

1. ahen

ahen New Egg

Oct 24, 2011
    We are fairly new to this chicken thing and my daughter is learning to hold our chickens. When she holds Tiny (our Orphington) and puts her down Tiny droops her wings and acts like she needs to poop, squating frequently and kinda lopping around for a while. After Tiny was held today she was lifting her tail and really pushing an orface out (not sure of the technical term) but I think it was the poop area. This action has happened twice now and I have asked my daughter not to hold her any more. What is going on? What do we have to look out for? Tiny continued to lay eggs after the first time. I have heard of eggs getting damaged inside, but would it affect anything else?

2. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Sounds to me like she is just squating... ready to mate!
    ETA - Welcome to the board!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  3. kittykat01

kittykat01 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 4, 2011
    Brisbane
    [​IMG] If she is already laying, I agree, it does sound like squatting!

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    It doesn't sound like your daughter is hurting the chicken. There isn't much your daughter do by just holding a hen that would hurt the bird. Unless you see your daughter really doing something to hurt the bird, I would let her hold the chicken all she wants. It sounds like the hen enjoys being held, and wasn't ready to be put down yet.

5. ahen

ahen New Egg

Oct 24, 2011
    This is good to hear. I was afraid she was causing some serious damage. I think however, I will encourage her to sit and let Tiny sit on her lap until she really gets the hang of it. She isn't really getting her into a supported position yet and it seems stressful to them both.

6. Fierlin1182

Fierlin1182 powered-flight

Aug 26, 2011
    I hear Orpingtons are really friendly birds. It sounds like she's just squatting (something 'mature' hens do all the time [​IMG]) so there's no harm in holding her. [​IMG]

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    how old is your chicken and your daughter?

8. deserthotwings

deserthotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    Queen Creek AZ
    Sounds like Tiny is ready to hook up with a roo. How old is she ?

9. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    my rule I give to little kids holding any of my pets is that "you gotta keep you fingers straight" so they don't poke, because that tends to be the source of any pain to the animal or aggression in response to said pain.

It does sound like your hen thinks your doughter is a roo though! lol

10. Tracy the chick

Tracy the chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Uk
    My 3 year old nephew picks all my 25 chickens up, he goes round everyone and gives them all a cuddle and mine are totally fine and very tame.. I think every chicken needs a cuddle every day. My cockeral loves to sit on my knee on a morning [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by