Is my Diana really a Dai (Welsh for David) - Black Orpingtons-

Andit_543

In the Brooder
Jul 24, 2020
Hi
I have recently been given 3 black orpington chickens from a neighbour. She assured me they were all female and they were roughly 12 weeks when we got them, they are now 16 weeks.

However, Diana looks very different to her sisters and although she isn't attempting to crow, and isn't even top hen, I'm a bit worried that she could be a boy.

I'm looking to rehome some ex commercial hens next month and they recommend not to rehome them with a cockerel.

Also the other chicken pictured, Florence, is really lazy. I've read these are a lazy breed but she does seem to sleep a lot more that the others. She eats and drinks OK and will run away from me if she thinks I will pick her up. The others aren't bullying her so could she just be a lazy chicken.

Sorry for all the questions, I'm a first time chicken owner

Attachments

• IMG_20200724_170806.jpg
    IMG_20200724_170806.jpg
    927.8 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_20200724_170803.jpg
    IMG_20200724_170803.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35
He’s a cockerel. He shouldn’t be a problem with the ex bats. Orpingtons are generally just big, calm and friendly. They’re also typically slow maturers but each will crow and mate in their own time. You can keep siblings together but I’m not sure I’d sell eggs/chicks from them unless you research further into interbreeding and line breeding in chickens.

Are you in an area that it's legal to keep a rooster? :D I think if you want to breed them it shouldn't hurt too much but I do believe that sibling x sibling crosses can be more harmful than parent x offspring crosses (also called line breeding) I probably wouldn't breed personally just cause I'm a more nervous person and like to avoid issues WAY in advance xD Although having just them live together shouldn't be any different than say you raised an unrelated rooster with them though if that's what you mean :)

Back
Top Bottom