1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my doe pregnant?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by WiredMilkmaid, Oct 29, 2015.

1. WiredMilkmaid

WiredMilkmaid New Egg

Oct 29, 2015
    I've been trying so hard the last couple years to get my prettiest best doe to breed, but she won't (imagine that) But today I brought her in my bucks cage and he was able to get the job done since I had her on a halter(she was not willing)...can she be pregnant even though she never shows signs of being in heat? Any tips on a stubborn doe that shows not interests in bucks?

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Is she polled goat.

3. WiredMilkmaid

WiredMilkmaid New Egg

Oct 29, 2015
    She was born with horns but was dehorned.

4. WiredMilkmaid

WiredMilkmaid New Egg

Oct 29, 2015
    I guess I'm just wondering if she could be pregnant, since my buck mounted her, even though she's probably not in heat

5. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I think they have to be in heat, polled bred to polled will produce sterile females, but that's not your problem, though she obviously has something wrong with her if she can't get pregnant. Though I'm not sure if a buck would breed a doe not in heat. I might just keep her with him or take her there every day until you see no more breeding.

6. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    More recent evidence has shown that polled x polled does NOT produce a large number of hermaphrodites as previously thought.

7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Of course

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by