Is my dog okay??!???????

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by sophiethechi, Jun 18, 2016.

1. sophiethechi

sophiethechi New Egg

Jun 18, 2016
    My dog has had an ear infection for months. At least we think it is an ear infection. You can tell that when she scratches her ears, which is often, she's in pain. And last night she just kept scratching and scratching and so I took a qtip to try and clean her ear. I have done it many times before butafter this time she tilted her head for a few seconds and kept shaking her ears for probably 10 minutes. Ever since last night, I have been so worried about her. Earlier today she was fine, but now she seems a little sad and real tired. I have tried treating her esrs with a cleanser, but she puts up quite a fight when I try. So I gave up doing that. She has had this for months and months. What should I do? I am worried sick for her. She is a 1 1/2 year old chihuahua. She has had all her shots, but not heartworm treatment.

What do you think she has? Could it be ear mites? And the stuff that comes out of her ear looks like dried blood. I am so scared she will die. Please send answers!!

2. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Sounds like ear mites.You can get over the counter products for ear mites at the pet supply. If that is what it is it will clear up promptly. You can take a Q tip and get some of the discharge from the ear and look at it under a magnifying glass. If it is ear mites you will be able to see them crawling around. A dog's ears are very sensitive and infections and ear mites can put the dog in agony. In addition to ear mites, a dog can have a bacterial or yeast infection or a foreign object such as foxtail or other plant awn. Your dog really needs to see a vet.

3. Donna R Raybon

Donna R Raybon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2016
    Be aware that little toy dogs have same number teeth as a big dog. This makes for cramped teeth in small mouth. Bad teeth and mouth infections kill a lot of toy breeds. They can get really sick, quick, so check your dog's teeth regular.

It does sound like ear mites. And, as others have said vet would be good idea. Checking for worms would be a good idea, too.

4. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    never ever use a Qtip on a dog's ears. just like with humans, it's simply pushes dirt down into the ear.

2nd, an infection needs antibiotics to clear up. with this problem going on for months, did she never go to the vet?

5. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I agree that a vet is the best (and in this case probably the only) way to get a definitive answer.

6. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    If you are going to swab a sample to put under a microscope or a magnifying glass to look for mites, what would you suggest using? I didn't say anything about poking it down into the ear.

7. sophiethechi

sophiethechi New Egg

Jun 18, 2016
    Thank you for all of the answers. My mom will not take her to a vet because she doesn't really care. She thinks she's fine, but I can tell that she is only feeling worse.

This morning, my dog was happy and jolly but by around 1:00PM, she laid down with me and took a nap. She did not even get up when her cousins (two other chihuahuas who were visiting) left. She is still laying down at this moment and it is almost 4:30PM.
    She won't even lift her head when I call her name.

I checked the stuff in her ears and nothing is moving around, so it must not be ear mites.
    I just need to get her to the vet, but no one will take her, and I cannot drive.

8. sophiethechi

sophiethechi New Egg

Jun 18, 2016
    UPDATE:

After you have read my second post, then please read this.

Since my dog was not lifting her head after me calling her name, I decided to walk out my back door because usually when I do, she comes running for me to come back.
    I went outside and stood at the door, not hearing her inside. When I opened the door, she was standing there with her tail wagging. Then she jumped onto our ottoman and then onto our couch and rolled over for me to rub her tummy. Then I said "Treats?" and she perked her head up and got excited. Then she ran and followed me happily into my room and I gave her a treat and she did her tricks (3 twirls and standing on back legs to grab treat) for it.
    At this moment, she is still in my bedroom chewing on her delicious treat. If she has any more odd behaviors, I will post about those as well. If she acts very weird throughout the week, I will convince my mother to take her to the vet. I volunteer at an animal shelter and I will ask the people there what they think I should do, and if they could help without me having to take her to a vet.

9. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Put a cotton swab around a finger, pinkie if it is a small dog and swab gently. If what comes out looks like coffee grounds it is ear mites. You can look at it under microscope or magnifying glass. Ear mite medicine can be purchased in a pet supply store.
    Look in the ear. If it is red or hot pink it is probably an infection. While antibiotics help, blood flow to the ear isn't the best so antibiotics may have only a limited effect. Go to your pharmacy and ask for a bottle of gentian violet. The pharmacy might stock this or they might have to special order it. It is very reasonably priced.
    Put a drop or two in each ear daily and massage gently. It's best to do this outside because as the name suggests, it is purple colored and often the dog will shake his head and purple flies out so it is best to not get this in the house. The inside of the dog's ears may be purple as will the fur at the front of the ear but it will go back to normal and the infection will clear up.
    When using gentian violet, make sure you get it deep enough into the ear (and massage) where the infection is. Within a week of two the infection will clear up.
    I know people with dogs prone to ear infections for instance Labs or dogs with folded ears who swim and get periodic ear infections may use this once or twice a year when they suspect an infection is forming before it can get a foothold..
    Good luck.

10. dainerra

dainerra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    my "don't use a Qtip" was to the OP. She said that she was using one to clean the ears.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by