Is my duck broody or what?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lina500, Oct 31, 2014.

1. lina500

lina500 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2014
    Cambodia
    One of my ducks has made a little nest in our duck house and has 9 eggs in there. She has been sitting on them in the morning for the last few days, but then spends the afternoon doing her normal thing running around the garden. My understanding is that she needs to sit on the eggs all day to hatch them, and this half-assed broodiness won't work. Is that true? If she's not actually going to hatch any ducklings I'd rather take the eggs away from her and make an omelette, but if she's going to hatch ducklings I will leave her be.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2014
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It is not always clear cut - she may be doing a decent job, so far. I have read of broodies taking it kind of easy the first little while, then really getting determined and staying on the nest no matter what.

3. Mrs.H

Mrs.H Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    My duck did the same thing. And I was told they wait till they have enough eggs before they sit 24/7 pretty much. Took mine about a week before she went completely broody. I guess sitting on them in the morning is their way of saying don't touch them lol. But who knows maybe she will maybe she won't. Was also told the eggs will stay fertile for a week or so. Good luck!

4. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

It could either be that she takes a long time to lay an egg, or she is amassing a clutch. I would let her go until you have like 20 eggs. If she still is not brooding them, she is just taking a long time to lay. Some of mine do that.

5. lina500

Apr 7, 2014
    Cambodia
    Well, she went fully broody and has been sitting on her eggs for about two weeks now. Am I fine to just wait and see what happens, or should I check the eggs to see if they are actually fertile?

6. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

Candle them when she is off. I let a broody set once to find on day 23 that none were fertile.

7. lina500

Apr 7, 2014
    Cambodia
    So it's been 28 days since she went part-time broody, and I guess 26 or so since she went full-time broody. Is there anything I need to do to help the hatching process or can he handle this on her own?

8. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    She will be fine. I wouldn't assist, you could cause more problems. The only thing I would do is check the nest for any un hatched eggs that may still be viable. One of my muscovy girls almost smashed a baby that was almost hatched.

9. lina500

Apr 7, 2014
    Cambodia
    Yay! I'm so excited. I checked the eggs while she was out of the house today and they all look like eggs still. We didn't actually get around to candling them so I have no idea if any are viable, but fingers crossed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by