Is my duck confused?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cherub78, Jan 18, 2009.

1. cherub78

cherub78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    Central NY
    I have a Rouen who, until a few days ago, was laying eggs in either a crate or in one of two corners in their shed. Suddenly we began finding her egg in one of the chicken nesting boxes!

The chickens and ducks have always cohabitated, and the other 4 ducks are much larger than her, so I am starting to wonder if maybe she thinks she is one of the chickens, though she does "hang out" with the ducks.

This pic is an older one, but shows the setup of the chickens nesting boxes. Now (not in the pic), under where you see the ladder, is the location of a wood crate some of the ducks lay in. As you can see, it is not easy for a duck to navigate up to the nests, which was the original idea for this setup- ducks get the floor half, chickens get the upper half of the coop.

We actually saw her in the one chicken nest (the bottom right one) this morning, and right after she got out, there was a warm duck egg there next to a chicken egg! Unfortunately didn't think to take the camera out to take a pic. I still am clueless how she gets up there, or why she suddenly started doing this.

Does she think she's a chicken? Or did she think their nests were more comfy?

Sharon

[​IMG]

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    LOL...maybe it is more comfy in the chicken nest

3. arllcountrygirl

arllcountrygirl lavender nutt

Your duck probably flew up there and likes the chicken nest boxes because they are snugger. [​IMG] Besides that is where all the hens go. Why not a duck? [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2009
  4. cherub78

Aug 5, 2008
    Central NY
    Day four of Brownie laying in the chickens boxes, and this time I took out my camera and caught her up on the shelf. The second pic is a close up showing the egg.

Should we start calling her a ducken??? LOL

Sharon

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Your mutant confused chicken/duck is very cute [​IMG]

6. TheNewMrsEvans

TheNewMrsEvans Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Big Sur, CA
    OMG She is very pretty!

My khaki drake used to perch with the chickens...it was just a closet pole, but he slept there! I think they are more agile than we give them credit for!

It's better for her to lay up there, then it will stay clean and safe [​IMG] she figured that out [​IMG]

7. cherub78

Aug 5, 2008
    Central NY
    I must say, her eggs are definately cleaner now than when she laid them on the floor!
    I am still baffled as to why she started this. Sometimes I wish I knew what was going on inside their little heads. DH keeps wanting to put a web cam out there. Would probably be cheaper entertainment than paying for digital cable every month..lol.
    Sharon

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by