Is my duck dumb or disabled?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RavenStorm, Mar 29, 2009.

1. RavenStorm

RavenStorm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    So, I was talking with my cousin about the differences between my two ducks. The Khaki is very bright and smart with great survival instincts. Yet the mutt has always acted like she was a little slow. Then my cousin who is into horses mentioned that horses with blue eyes often have sight problems and when they get older typically go blind quickly and suggested that this might be the problem with my mutt duck. I have no idea if what she said is true, but my mutt does have blue eyes and sight problems could be the answer to a lot fo the dumb things that she does.

Does anyone know if blue-eyed ducks are more prone to being visually impaired?

2. streemers

streemers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    i dont but what kinda stupid stuff?

3. Harley's girl

Harley's girl Chillin' With My Peeps

I have never heard of this, I am interested to see what the out come is. My duck has blue eyes but she is not dumb at all. She knows her name and she comes running as soon as I walk to the pool. (She know I am cleaning it out for her!) In the chicken world usually the mutts lay the best. Maybe she is just letting you think she is dumb. LOL [​IMG]

4. RavenStorm

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Quote:She falls, a LOT, because she doesn't seem to notice things like a rock or a hose in her way. She is a horrible forager and won't pick up tasty bugs from the ground; I have to pick it up and hold it in my hand (yuck!) right in front of her before she eats it. She will freak out if the other duck is more than 10 feet away from her as if she can't find her. She ignores high-flying predator type birds, but if a low flying butterfly or house finch comes by she flips. In general, she just seems to have poor survival instincts and a very bad sense of coordination.

5. elliemay0305

elliemay0305 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    sounds like she cant see! [​IMG] keep an eye on her it would be horrible for something to get her

6. RavenStorm

Jun 1, 2008
    Southern CA
    Quote:See that's the thing, I know she can see or else she wouldn't be able to find her food and water since I tend to move them around the run often. It's not like she can't find a little of her own when she is foraging, but she is just not very good at it. She sees me coming from across the back yard and either get's excited or runs away.

7. streemers

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    odd duck. maybe she is a little off or maybe she is blind in 1 eye?

8. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    It sounds like its blind to me. I have never seen a blue eyed duck before. My dog has one slivery eye (he is blind in it). It does look terribly messed up or anything he just can't really see out of it. Maybe it the same with your duck.

9. streemers

Oct 13, 2008
    port orchard,WA
    good luck with the crazy duck!

10. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    Blue eyes don't necessarily mean blind. I think my Pekin years ago had blue eyes. My white and spash Sebastopol geese all have blue eyes. Ducks and geese have very keen hearing. Your duck could be blind or partially blind, and listen for where the others head for food.They can feel vibrations in the ground. Can you test it somehow? It also can just be shy and self conscious-unsure of itself. Ducks and geese can be very clumsy when they're nervous![​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by