Is my duck egg bound?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dot n'dave, May 11, 2011.

1. dot n'dave

dot n'dave Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    CT
    Yesterday, I found one of my BEI's, at egg collection time, sitting on one of the nests, breathing rather heavily. I thought she was trying to pass an egg so I gave her time and came back. When I returned, she was still there, but I was able to shoo her away so I could collect the eggs. Later in the evening, I decided to check back, and she was outside of the nest house, with all the others and everything seemed normal. Now today the same scenario occurred. But the difference this time was, when I tried to shoo her away, she started to strike at my hand rather than get up, off the nest, and move. I'm assuming this is a "Hey! Leave me alone" behavior. But I'm worried about the heavy breathing. Any thoughts?

2. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

all female broody ducks do it shes just saying theses are my eggs or this is my nest stay away! she p!$$*d thats all my ducks breathes heavilly and hisses at me eeekkk [​IMG]

3. dot n'dave

Jan 11, 2010
    CT
    We'll see. She's never acted like this before. Not to mention, she was sitting on the eggs for a few hours. She's outside at this moment with the others.

4. dot n'dave

Jan 11, 2010
    CT
    Just an update. A little while later, she's right back inside the duck house sitting back on the nest. Not breathing as heavy, but she's right back at it.

5. dot n'dave

Jan 11, 2010
    CT
    Well I'm pretty sure you're right. She and a few others are REALLY broody. But I shoo them away can collect the eggs, and then they're right back the next day. I don't know why they didn't do this last year though. Silly Birds...

Thanks.

6. pekinduck<3er

pekinduck<3er Chillin' With My Peeps

no problem happened to me and my female was the sweetest girl... now shes a devil lol

7. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    dot n'dave :

Well I'm pretty sure you're right. She and a few others are REALLY broody. But I shoo them away can collect the eggs, and then they're right back the next day. I don't know why they didn't do this last year though. Silly Birds...

Thanks.

It takes em a couple years to go broody​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by