Is my duck having a seizure?

matilda.the.duck

Hatching
8 Years
Jun 9, 2011
Today I was reading outside on the patio, near the coop and I heard a commotion, as if something was hitting the wall of the coop. Moments later my 2 month old duck came stumbling into view on her back. She twitched a couple times, then was still. I thought she had just died and started panicking. When I got a closer look she wriggled back onto her feet but looked lethargic (her eyes kept closing and opening slowly). My mom told me that last week she saw her in the same condition one day. I did some reading and learned that ducks can have seizures due to pesticide poinsoning, head trauma, etc...

I want to know if she really did have a seizure. Please help! I don't know what to do. This is only our second duck and I would hate to lose her
sad.png

(If this helps: When she was younger, she did seem to have health problems. She would eat and drink fine but seemed to have a runny nose and sneezed from time to time. She has since grown out of it.)

I have a 3-week-old cayuga that was having seizures up until a few days ago. The vet said to mix Karo syrup in her water since she might be hypoglycemic. She stopped for awhile after that, but then started having them again. She would have a seizure and then walk off like nothing happened. It seems they're gone now. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the help.

Now there is something else wrong
sad.png
(

Her right wing was all bloody. She seems to move it fine. The only things is that she is constantly adjusting it. When we touched her wing she didn't squirm or anything. When we lifted the feathers on the surface that's where the problem seems to be. There wasn't any open wound that we could see. We tried flushing the source of the blood to see one, but there was none. Could it be broken? She is a pekin so she can't fly, so it doesn't look broken (from what my mom and I could see). Please help!!

Last edited:
Certainly sounds like a seizure!
She may have hurt her wing during the seizure. If she's moving it OK it could be just bruised. Try putting some ice in it if she lets you.
Looks like a wait and see situation...

Her wing is broken. The break is at the top but moves her wing fine. We flushed the wound with an iodine solution. It does sag and she is constantly adjusting it. Should we still wrap it?

I would try to immobilize the wing. It would be best to go to a vet. But if you can't, try wrapping it with Vetwrap or similar so that the wing is stuck up against her body in a neutral position and try to keep her clean and dry.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom