Is my duck having seizures?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by annalouise13198, Oct 12, 2016.

1. annalouise13198

annalouise13198 New Egg

Oct 12, 2016
    I have a duckling that for the time being stays inside. Just a few moments ago when I came home I came into the room he stays in a when I turned on the light he started shaking and flopping around. It took him bout 10 minutes to revover from this. He has never done this before and I'm worried something might be wrong with him. I`ve never owned a duck before so I'm not sure what to do. He seems to be doing fine now but I'm still concerened.

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

First off, how old is the Duckling and what are you feeding it?

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If your duckling was in a dark room and you came in an turned on the light it was probably startled into something like seizure, may have been an actual seizure.
    I'd have a night light on in there and also talk softly before coming in and turning on any bright lights. Get him accustom to your voice before turning on any lights.

4. annalouise13198

annalouise13198 New Egg

Oct 12, 2016
    I'm not sure exactly how old he is I've had him about 4 and a half weeks and by how small he was when I got him I would guess he was about a week or so old. And as far as what I'm feeding him its a bag of food that I bought from tractor supply it doesn't have much information on it but I was told by someone who use to own ducks that they can eat chicken feed. I've also been feeding him worms and lettuce.

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    If your feeding your duckling other things besides chick starter he needs some chick grit to be able to "chew" it. They can't chew like other animals that have teeth they eat their feed it goes into a crop like thing and the grit is there to grind everything up.

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Feed him peas mashed up in water, Romain, kale. and grasses are good...Granite grit will be needed and feeding the Chick starter...Seems others use Niacin for Ducklings or Brewers Yeast.....I never have but I live in Canada and can buy specific Duckling starter....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by