Is my duck hurt or is she ready to lay an egg?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by AlejandroMedina, Oct 13, 2016.

1. AlejandroMedina

AlejandroMedina New Egg

Oct 13, 2016
    Hello I'm new to this website and I don't know how to post so excuse me if thi is not where I should post this. I have 3 lovely ducks 2 pekin and the other one I'm not sure. Well my older duck for the past 3 days I noticed that she (I believe is a girl) has been having problems walking. She walks and falls in her stomach, it looks like she lost her balance. Also when she tries to get up her legs look like they're shaking a bit and it takes her a while to get up. She makes attempts to follow my other 2 ducks but she can't keep up. She is 8-9 months old and 3 days ago I picked her up gently and I don't know if I felt an egg inside her. She has never layed eggs before so I don't know if this is a typical behavior or if something else might be wrong with her. She defenitely looks fine. Maybe just a little bit tired but other than that she still drinks water and eats. Please help me out I never owned ducks before, she is my first duck and i love her with all my [​IMG]:(
    [​IMG]

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I believe your duck is a young Welsh Harliquin drake check bottom of his feet for bumble also might want to begin some Brewers yeast in his feed daily. 1 Tab to 1 cup of feed.

I see you posted another place so take this info it's very good.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1012516/egg-bound-or-egg-peritonitis/10#post_17639383

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  3. AlejandroMedina

AlejandroMedina New Egg

Oct 13, 2016

Thank you for your response! I read on here that niacin could make it feel better? How possible is that? And once again thank you so much for the info!

4. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    @AlejandroMedina some ducks can get a niacin deficiency that is why we rec starting ducklings out when first hatched on an extra niacin supplement. Especially if brooded inside. All my ducklings have been hatched by mama ducks and have been on the ground right off and I have never had any of them with leg or neurological issues not saying it couldn't happen but maybe mama knows best what her charges need. Even though there is niacin in chick feed it isn't enough for water fowl so we have to supplement. Maybe this is a nutritional def maybe an injury but giving some extra B3[niacin in the form of Brewers yeast or niacin tabs or caps sure won't hurt him. And they usually get over it pretty quick even though he shows improvement I'd not stop the supplement right off but give him time to have plenty in his system. Just be sure to get the niacin and or Brewers yeast Amiga was talking about.
    And please keep us updated on how he is doing.

5. AlejandroMedina

AlejandroMedina New Egg

Oct 13, 2016

Thank you Miss Lydia! I will continue to give her niacin! I'm lucky that I caught it early. This just started to happen 2 days ago and after all I read here in this site I'm pretty sure I wasn't giving her enough niacin. I will keep you guys updated. She since to be fine right now. She is walking normal but I did notice her having trouble swallowing food. She drinks water normal. Thank you again!

1 person likes this.
  6. Bills vs Beaks

Bills vs Beaks Overrun With Chickens

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    Sorry to bust your bubble but that's a he...

7. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    At least we can rule out egg bound. [​IMG]

8. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    oops sorry wanted to edit that to my previous post...

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  9. AlejandroMedina

AlejandroMedina New Egg

Oct 13, 2016
    Thank you all for your response!! Quick update. She's doing a little better. She still has some problems running but now she's walking with the other 2 ducks but I noticed her poop was a dark green color. I'm leaning to a infection maybe? I'm going to give her antibiotics hope to see my lovely ducky get better!!

10. Bills vs Beaks

Aug 31, 2016
    NJ USA
    I'm sorry but I don't think you understood us.
    [​IMG]
    That is a boy duck also called a drake. I hate to tell you, but you aint gonna get eggs from him.

Glad to know he's doing better anyway, boys are still sweet things :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by