Is my duck male or female.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by franrose, Jan 23, 2011.

1. franrose

franrose Out Of The Brooder

Aug 16, 2010
    What's Going On! I purchased two Indian Runners last spring and was never really sure until early fall as to whether they were male or female.
    At a few months old, one of them started mounting the other, so I assumed I had a male and named him Jake. The recipient of his passion started laying an egg-a-day sometime in late August. I named her Juniper.
    Well . . . and odd thing started happening a few weeks ago. Each morning, when I let them out of their sleeping pen, I began to find two eggs!
    and . . . I have gotten two eggs per day for almost three weeks now. Do I have TWO females??? Can a duck lay more than one egg per day . . . everyday??!!
    I've heard that Indian Runners are good layers, but that good?? Odd thing is that Jake (who I thought was a male) is still mounting Juniper quite seriously.
    Let me know if you have any insight into these quackers.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    franrose,
    [​IMG]

and
    [​IMG]

Jake is Jackie, and it's normal for two (or in my case, ten) runner girls to, uhm, help each other out if there is no drake nearby.

I call it "hop on top." Some tell me it's a dominance thing - it looks to me like "girls just wanna have fun."

It just means they are sexually mature or maturing.

I love my all girl flock - no worries about drakes getting too zealous and hurting them.

3. franrose

Aug 16, 2010
    Thanks for the response. I am a little sad Jake turned out to be Jackie . . . just cause he was the ONLY male on the property.
    But I am happy to have a couple of healthy, uninhibited girls! Best of luck with your duckers!

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I am in no hurry to get a drake, but from time to time duck forum people need to rehome a drake or four, so I reckon you can find a nice one no problem.

5. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    The male Indian Runner has a curl in his tail feathers - if the feathers are straight you have two girls! Pity you aren't here I have 7 males to rehome or sadly eat..... I want lots more babies.... they are so cute - my first baby is my Avatar - she was hatched here by a Muscovy duck as Bonnie and Clyde ( it's parents ) showed no interest in the eggs. Olivia the Avatar has hatched 12 of her own babies now! Bonnie did eventually hatch Pip and Squeak! 16 mad runners here.....!

6. franrose

Aug 16, 2010
    Would love to see a picture of your runners! [​IMG] Where is Auvergne?

7. ejctm

ejctm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    VILLAGE IN THE SHIRES
    Welcome franrose.

Why don't you post some pics of you ducks!

I am runner crazy and have 5 myself.

8. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Hi Franrose....

Yes, welcome to BYC it is an invaluable site for knowledge of our animals as is Backyard Herds - the sites cover just about anything you need to know about animals! There are some amazing people on the site who have indepth knowledge about ailments and the advice is wonderful!

I must post some pics. of my Runners - they move so fast now - but they all come home to their stable in the evenings - I think with the noise they make when they come home they could be heard in the local village!

Auvergne is in France

Moved here from England almost three years ago and life here is wonderful!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by