Is my duck okay in the henhouse?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by blaundee, May 11, 2011.

1. blaundee

blaundee Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Is it okay for my ducky Moonshine to live with the chickens in the henhouse? She absolutely loves her chickens, and I don't mind, but I don't want to put her health at risk.

The floor has woodshavings (which they all know about and don't eat) and they have free choice lay mash to eat. I fill the ground level water twice a day and make sure there is enough water for ducky to dip her head into. There is also a water pan that the chickens have to fly up to reach, so ducky doesn't have acces to it (I put it in before ducky moved in). She loves being with the chickens, and the youngsters love to snuggle up to her.

2. julie75

julie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 13 ducks that stay in the hen house with the chickens and I have not had any problems at all. There are no health risks that I am aware of. I do clean my coop out everyday, because you can imagine with 13 ducks and twice as many chickens, that I do have quite a poopy mess.

3. blaundee

Aug 3, 2009
    Thanks! [​IMG]

4. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Not only is there no reason why they cannot live together, but you have addressed the needs of both chicken and duck for watering! That's usually the biggest deal-breaker.
    [​IMG]

5. blaundee

Aug 3, 2009
    Quote:I am so glad to hear that! I just didn't want my ducky to get sick from bing with the chickens, even though she loves them so much [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by