Is my duck okay???

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by quackersthemallard, Jun 17, 2018.

1. quackersthemallard

quackersthemallard In the Brooder

Jun 17, 2018
    My male mallard duck is having some weird things happing to himself. he is almost a year old now. There is white spots around his green head near the eyes and beak. His beak is all dried on the sides. And his feet are pretty dried. Is he okay? Thanks

Last edited: Jun 18, 2018
    The Phantom likes this.
  2. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!! Premium Member

Do you have pictures?

3. quackersthemallard

Jun 17, 2018
    Not right now but i will show them later. He have white spots aground his beak and eyes, signs of molting? And underneath his feet kinda cracked and dried. Also his beak is peeling and cracked too on the sides. Kinda scared about him

The Phantom likes this.
  4. shawluvsbirds

shawluvsbirds "FAKE EILLEEN" Premium Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Missouri
    :frowhello.
    Does he have swimming water and or water deep enough to dip his bill in regularly?
    It's pretty normal for their bill to peel once in a while. But if they don't have access to deep enough water to clean their snares they can get a runny nose so to speak and that can get quite bad and isn't normal.
    Dry cracked feet are fairly common too. Not a whole lot you can do about that unless you can control their environment and what they are walking around on all day. For instance if they spend a lot of time standing on wood it could be wicking a lot of moisture from their web:)

5. quackersthemallard

Jun 17, 2018
    yes, he does have access to fully emerge his head in the water. And he does spend his time on the porch all day! But weirdly why his head have white spotting, is that a sign of molting?

The Phantom likes this.
  6. shawluvsbirds

shawluvsbirds "FAKE EILLEEN" Premium Member

Apr 17, 2017
    Missouri
    I would say so. Post a picture when you can so we can see what your seeing. But sight unseen. . I would say most likely molting and nothing to worry about. My call drake is molting right now and looks funny. His bill is peeling also. :lol:

The Phantom likes this.
  7. quackersthemallard

Jun 17, 2018
    Okay, I will later during today. Thanks for all your help!

shawluvsbirds and The Phantom like this.
  8. quackersthemallard

Jun 17, 2018
    F7C6F825-8218-4854-900E-680C47E8B6FA.png
    In the picture, my duck have orange patches on the sides of his beak. Is that normal?

The Phantom likes this.
  9. The Phantom

The Phantom I love birds!!! Premium Member

That could be just how his beak color is

10. quackersthemallard

Jun 17, 2018
    Okayy, I see. Thank you!

The Phantom likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: