Is my duck pipping into the air sack? Pictures! Please let me know,

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chicken Charlotte, Oct 24, 2011.

1. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Hey guys,

I candled my duck eggs and saw this below, dying right now haha PLEASE REPLY and let me know what you think, and please let me know how far away you think it is :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not the best photos but let me know PLEASE!!! \\

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2011
  2. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    Looks like it.
    Either that or its about to.
    Where did you get duck eggs from?

3. Chicken Charlotte

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Quote:Mums friend Dawn, she already had ducks and chickens sitting on them, I payed $1.00 for 2 because they were already developing. I have only had them 1 day haha. Her chicken was sitting on duck eggs with 2 ducks and when the ducks eggs hatched the chicken stole the ducklings off them hahaha.

Oh my gosh sooooo exited how long do you think until they hatch?

4. Chicken Charlotte

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    You took a picture of your gini haha, they were at our house yesterday [​IMG]

5. guinea fowl galore

guinea fowl galore Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Australia
    Yes I did.
    Im quite happy with the photo.
    Make sure you post lots of pictures during and after the ducks hatch.

6. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Charlotte- its really hard to see what is going on from those photos. You say you have only had the eggs for a day- but did you at least ask how long they had been sat on by the hen? How long was it between when the eggs were taken from the nest and when you got them?

7. Chicken Charlotte

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Quote:Around 3 and a half weeks, Yea the photos suck, but I have felt some movement inside (to my nollege [​IMG])

8. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I drew this up a while back and you may find it helpful. Shine the torch onto the aircell itself rather than through the center of the egg. Make sure you are holding it with the aircell the right way around. If the duckling is getting ready to start hatching you will see movement below where the dotted line is. That is where the ducklings back is, and you can see quivering movement. If the duckling has broken through the membrane you will see the bill tapping on the shell a little higher up. Dont handle the eggs to much at this stage- and since you dont know exactly when they are due - as soon as you see the bill in the aircell dont turn them anymore and increase the humidity for hatching.

[​IMG]

9. Chicken Charlotte

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Quote:I dont understand? I will try [​IMG]

10. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi

Here's some photos of the shadowing into the air cell which indicates internal pipping is imminent.

[​IMG]

The next picture indicates the outline of the beak which confirms internal pipping. This can also be confirmed by listening to the egg with the air cell end to your ear. If you hear a faint but regular clicking noise then the duckling is breathing and you can expect external pipping next.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by