Is my duck pulling feathers from my chickens!!??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by got2bskilled, Apr 20, 2011.

1. got2bskilled

got2bskilled Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    So, it started a few months ago. I noticed that my hens started to miss some feathers in spots here and there. Instantly I put DE on the hens, and then sprinkled seven dust around the pen in case it was mites. The patches became bigger and there were more of them. Then, we noticed that the male duck became agressive with the hens and started to chase them around the field with more frequency. There were times where he would catch hold of them and pull them to the ground with his beak and hold them there. This is where I think they might be losing their feathers. Now the agressive behavior has moved to my rooster as well. He is missing feathers around his vent. My rooster is quite a whimp. Before I relocate the ducks, do you believe this is the issue? Is this common? Is there anything else that could be doing this? Thanks!

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    ahhh My butt head duck does that too!!! He yanked out tons of feathers on my girls-only on black chickens though and only on ones he wasn't familiar with-Hes in duck jail in a 8 x 10 pen with his 2 Gf's until I can think of what to do with him and protect my girls at the same time! I thought maybe he was trying to mate them??

3. got2bskilled

got2bskilled Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Yeah, we were thinking that he was trying to mate as well, until he started to go for the Rooster, lol! I might have to re-home him to a nice lake. The issue is that he thinks he is a chicken(raised with the chickens) and will not fly or swim in the kiddie pool we have... (he flaps above ground about 10 inches) so I am not sure he could get away from a predator. He is a Kahaki duck. Sadly, I dont have a nice duck jail. He goes in the pen with the chickens at night- he was a booder mate to the hens, so he lived like a chicken all his life. My chickens might be next month on this rate!

4. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:My boy lives with chickens all his life too--I wouldnt let him go on a pond though-rehome him instead- Mine wont go in my pond only his baby pool! He's a chicken [​IMG] Dog kennel at night??? I did that the first year-I had an XL dog kennel for 100lbs plus and he got locked up at night but let loose during day when the chicken could run away!

5. Jayers

Jayers Out Of The Brooder

Apr 16, 2008
    NE Illinois
    I just got a hen from a gal who breeds ducks - she was being pecked apart! I've heard of hen-pecked, but are ducks just vicious?

6. Rennie

Rennie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    I have a hen that pulls the feathers from my drake [​IMG] ..She is top chicken and duck it seems

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by