Is my duck sick?

Need_Not

Chirping
Sep 7, 2019
My male duck who has been in my yard the longest and only duck have seen every duck that has ever been here didn't molt at the same time as the others but i assumed maybe he ia getting old and no longer molts but last week he started to about a month after everyone else

well this morning he was sitting next to my glass door which is weird because he isn't very tame and runs from people and things but if i open the door he runs so i guess he either wants to watch us or likes cement patio?

anyway i was a little worried then i got home from work and i didn't see him at first i was happy to see him with the others but instead he was gone! i looked and looked and eventually found him in a bush and even when i found him he didn't just run out and start quacking he slowly stood up and walked away slowly but in a panic.

i was worried so i picked him up and noticed i can see his skin in some parts which i dont remember that about a molting duck.

his feathers are all dirty and sad looking like he dying or something.

anything i can do? can i tell if this is a good thing like maybe he has lived his life and is too old.

They really need nourishment. Just trying to get by eating what they can find in your yard isn't going to keep them healthy. Even dog food is not formulated for ducks. So nutrients are off. Put out some duckling food. It will be good for him and the rest of your ducks. Dog food is okay as a treat my ducks love it. But it is only a treat, Pick him up and feel his breast bone is it sharp or can you feel it? the poor thing may be malnourished.

Have you placed him where you can monitor his eating drinking and pooping. All 3 very important. A picture of his poop would be good. and give us info on what your feed along with treats and any supplements. Do you have poultry vitamins? Ducks can live long lives I have a 14 yr old Muscovy. But different circumstances can make a difference.

Last edited:
Have you placed him where you can m monitor his eating drinking and pooping. All 3 very important. A picture of his poop would be good. and give us info on what your feed along with treats and any supplements. Do you have poultry vitamins? Ducks can live long lives I have a 14 yr old Muscovy. But different circumstances can make a difference.
i will in the morning however i did notice yesterday that his poop was kinda small liquidy and sticky. it's gross thinking about it

ive tried feeding my ducks but they would rather just eat the grass/things in the dirt so i stopped buying duck food. the only duck food i have is laying hen food and some duckling food.

my ducks sometimes eat my dogs dog food and i did see him yesterday over there but im not sure how much he even ate or if it's even something he should be eating

If he is on his back in the first pic than yes. if you can feel his breast bone and it is sharp he is underweight. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-supportive-care-updated-01-17-2021.1048620/ scroll down a bit and you'll see bodyweight images. Try making their feed with some warm water and a little Apple cider vinegar to keep the feed from beginning to mold. Don't keep it over night start with a small amount and work up as they begin eating it good. My birds get moist feed every day they love it. I make it up in the evening so it's ready to sit out in the morning.
I have 39 birds so I make up quite a bit. They eat it so much better than dry.
Also when they are in molt they seem not to feel so good. So that may be another reason for him laying off by himself. Can you see pin feathers coming in? does he seem interested in the pool at all? Do they have a pool or something to bathe in?

If he is on his back in the first pic than yes. if you can feel his breast bone and it is sharp he is underweight. https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...d-supportive-care-updated-01-17-2021.1048620/ scroll down a bit and you'll see bodyweight images. Try making their feed with some warm water and a little Apple cider vinegar to keep the feed from beginning to mold. Don't keep it over night start with a small amount and work up as they begin eating it good. My birds get moist feed every day they love it. I make it up in the evening so it's ready to sit out in the morning.
I have 39 birds so I make up quite a bit. They eat it so much better than dry.
Also when they are in molt they seem not to feel so good. So that may be another reason for him laying off by himself. Can you see pin feathers coming in? does he seem interested in the pool at all? Do they have a pool or something to bathe in?
alright. as for the pool yes i have a part i dug out and then have a hose. he doesn't seem to leave his bush at all from what ive seen only a little to eat a few pieces of dog food which im trying to figure out how to stop.

i could see what happens if i let him in my real pool since the ducks go crazy if i leave the gate open. maybe that will make him a little happy

Can you feed your dog where the ducks can't get to the food? If I left dog food out my ducks would only eat dog food they love it. Especially my Muscovy. Then again my dogs would eat duck chicken feed if they got the chance. :rolleyes:

Might be able to find kiddy pools on sale now since most summer stuff is on sale.

Maybe if you put the feed and water in actual bowls? To a cup of feed I'd put half a tablespoon of ACV in warm water. Tossing feed out on the ground and he doesn't eat it will draw predators and can mold. Then if he did decide to eat some moldy food is a killer.

Back
Top Bottom