Is my duck trying to mate with me?

jennasips

In the Brooder
Nov 4, 2021
So, I know this sounds weird but I think my male Pekin duck might be possibly trying to mate with me. I like to pet him so I put him on my lap but lately he’s been biting my jacket aggressively and moving his body around. He also makes this weird burping noise and it shakes like his whole body. I put him down once he does that because it freaks me out. I looked up this noise and people said it’s a type of mating call and the biting also go along with that. He’s an only duck so I think he might be lonely but I don’t want ducklings or eggs just pets so I would get him another drake companion like he’s had in the past. Is there anyway I can stop this behavior?

So, I know this sounds weird but I think my male Pekin duck might be possibly trying to mate with me. I like to pet him so I put him on my lap but lately he’s been biting my jacket aggressively and moving his body around. He also makes this weird burping noise and it shakes like his whole body. I put him down once he does that because it freaks me out. I looked up this noise and people said it’s a type of mating call and the biting also go along with that. He’s an only duck so I think he might be lonely but I don’t want ducklings or eggs just pets so I would get him another drake companion like he’s had in the past. Is there anyway I can stop this behavior?
Yes, it sounds like mating behaviour. I definitely think that a companion would help him.
Get another drake. As long as there are no females around, they should be fine together.

Other people might be able to help you further.

Ignore this previous two comments. They are out to cause trouble.

I'm not a duck expert, but it certainly sounds like mating. It happens with chickens sometimes, too -- they see you as one of their own, or just get desperate. If he's alone and has no other ducks or drakes to mate with, he's probably trying to use you, instead.

I don't know if a duck stuffy would help. I bought this for my ducks to help with separation anxiety when one goes to the vet.

Dakota The Duck - 13 Inch Stuffed Animal Plush - by Tiger Tale Toys
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074Q4LNP1/ref=cm_sw_r_awdo_navT_a_TR5VAWB3MN1A3Z2SATFW

He's about the same size as my ducks, stands up on his own, and is well made. My ducks ignore him.
Uh oh I took the suggestions and went ahead and bought a duck stuffed animal. I was thinking I could just leave it in his house so him to have at night. Hopefully it works or else looks like I have a new stuffed animal duck hahaha

i dont think that was me, but a mutual friend of ours @SusannasMom
we could ask her what she did to stop this behavior
may I ask how long you've owned this duck?
and when this behavior started? recently? or awhile ago?
I’ve had him since he was a week old and he was raised with another duck who’s gender I never knew for sure. He’s been doing this for a few months now but just recently started making the noise. I thought the biting and neck sticking out was just him being playful at first.

I think you duck needs a real friend but another drake. You need to get on top of this behaviour because, in my experience, it will get progressively more aggressive.
Use the search feature and check out threads about "drakes are jerks"

Back
Top Bottom