Is my duckling sick?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by duckiebubbles, May 6, 2016.

1. duckiebubbles

duckiebubbles Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016
    Missouri
    So one of my little darlings (who happens to be the largest) makes this noise every so often when he's breathing. I can best describe it as, when (as a human) you have a stuffy nose on one side and it opens up for just a second then closes again. I certainly hope that makes sense.

It's not a constant, just every so often is sounds like that with a few breaths and then it stops again.

Both ducklings are warm to the touch (but I was told they run warm normally anyway compared to humans). They seem to be in good spirits, enjoy eating, playing in the pool, etc.

Am I overthinking this? lol... this is our first time as duck parents and I don't want to fail them.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Good you are asking about this.

A few things - one of my ducklings often had a nose whistle. As it turns out, she just sometimes gets a little something in there and it whistles till she snoots it out.

If they get stuff stuck in their nares and don't have some way to frequently rinse them out, they risk getting sinus and respiratory infections.

Do they have tub time in water (no soap) the temperature of the brooder?

Have you seen the Raising Ducklings sticky? It's in here https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/256233/ducks-sticky-topics-index

3. duckiebubbles

duckiebubbles Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016
    Missouri
    Thanksfor the sticky post! Hadnt seen that.

Yes, they have a kiddie pool outside they get to play in twice a day and then once a day also in a tub in the house.

It has been near 80 all week so they really enjoy the outdoor play.

They also have access to two different waterers 24/7 that we freshen 6am, 11am, 4pm, 10pm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by