Is My Duckling Sick?

BCoop

In the Brooder
Sep 14, 2022
This is my first batch of ducklings to hatch this year. I was very lucky to have 5 out of 6 eggs hatch, and four of them are thriving and completely fine. However, one of them is still almost the same size she was when she hatched, breathes really heavy, and is slow to eat and drink. She does all this until we pick her up and hold her, then all her symptoms goes away and she snuggles in and can eat out of our hands, still slower than the others but eating.

They all lived in the same brooder, with the same food and water and heat level until this morning we decided to separate her in case she's sick. The others sneeze every once in a while then they go clean their nose out in the water and everything is fine again. I've been researching like crazy and have found multiple possible causes for the little one's behavior. But I'm just not sure if my duckling is sick or if there's something else going on. We've tried talking to a vet but none are available right now in the area. We want to keep her with the flock to avoid being lonely but are also trying to be responsible and keep everyone safe and healthy.

I'd be more concerned about her not being able to eat and drink enough if she is smaller and weaker than the others. if she has been with the other ducklings since hatch then if she was sick they have already been exposed. Can you set up your brooder where she can still see the others and them her. They do so much better if they can still see their flock and are not isolated. Are you supplementing with any form of niacin which is very important for ducklings?
What are you feeding and maybe you should also get some rooster booster or Nutri Drench for poultry to give her a good boost?
There is failure to thrive that can happen in hatches. But I'd still try and help this little one if she is showing any signs she is trying.

I'd be more concerned about her not being able to eat and drink enough if she is smaller and weaker than the others. if she has been with the other ducklings since hatch then if she was sick they have already been exposed. Can you set up your brooder where she can still see the others and them her. They do so much better if they can still see their flock and are not isolated. Are you supplementing with any form of niacin which is very important for ducklings?
What are you feeding and maybe you should also get some rooster booster or Nutri Drench for poultry to give her a good boost?
There is failure to thrive that can happen in hatches. But I'd still try and help this little one if she is showing any signs she is trying.
Thank you, we have clear totes that we're using as brooders and she's set up right next to the others. We gave her her own food and water to see if it was simply the bigger ones were making it hard for her to get access. We're using an all organic duck crumble that has all they're vitamins. We put some apple cider vinegar in their water to help boost their immune system and are getting brewer's yeast today.

What breed is the duckling? Do you have any pics? Are you soaking the crumbles and what kind of food are you feeding?
The duckling is I think pure Pekin. My adult flock is 50/50 Pekin and Cayuga. We soaked the crumbles the first few days to soften it up for them but stopped since the four other ones have gotten bigger. The feed is an all organic duck crumble.

How old is baby ? Have you checked her butt to see if it has dried poo or goo preventing her from having a poo
Not growing and slow to eat and drink are signs for pasty butt
It isn’t always the case but the first thing I look for then move into other things
The baby is almost a week old, and we've checked and she's going just fine.

She could still have URI. I had this happen hatching some runners. I don't like to separate ducklings/chicks unless they are being bullied or are contagious. Interaction with hatchmates is really important I think for them especially when they're sick because separating them stresses them more than trying to treat them when everyone is together. You can always add a second bowl of food if you think she's being pushed out because of her size. And you may want to consider adding an antibiotic to the water even though it will treat all the birds it may give her a hand up to get her over the wheezing.
I've never lost ducklings due to small size but I have lost them to illness because I didn't catch it fast enough.

She could still have URI. I had this happen hatching some runners. I don't like to separate ducklings/chicks unless they are being bullied or are contagious. Interaction with hatchmates is really important I think for them especially when they're sick because separating them stresses them more than trying to treat them when everyone is together. You can always add a second bowl of food if you think she's being pushed out because of her size. And you may want to consider adding an antibiotic to the water even though it will treat all the birds it may give her a hand up to get her over the wheezing.
I've never lost ducklings due to small size but I have lost them to illness because I didn't catch it fast enough.
That's a great idea, just in the last day I've noticed them start to push her away a bit. So hopefully having her in a separate brooder will give her time to eat and drink enough that I don't worry integrating her back into the flock. I'll also look into antibiotics too.

That's a great idea, just in the last day I've noticed them start to push her away a bit. So hopefully having her in a separate brooder will give her time to eat and drink enough that I don't worry integrating her back into the flock. I'll also look into antibiotics too.
Being away from her hatch mates could cause her to get lonely
When I hatched my first 4 mom was sitting on eggs as well a few weeks behind mine
Only one baby made it but as good as mom was at sitting she was scared of the baby and tried to attack it
So I set up pens side by side so she wasn’t alone but her older siblings couldn’t hurt her
About 3 weeks later I tried and they accepted her in instantly and she was the happiest little duck to be with a flock
The 5 of them are still very tight
You could also try adding one more baby with her they way she has a buddy too

Back
Top Bottom