Is my ducky sick?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by VOX, Dec 22, 2010.

1. VOX

VOX Chillin' With My Peeps

I just now noticed like a jelly type stuff coming out of my duckys nose, like snot. She cant be to cold i keep it around 75- 80 degrees in here...how do i know if she is to cold/sick?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  2. VOX

[​IMG]

3. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Is it maybe just spitty water? Some of my ducks will "spit up" gooey water sometimes, for no apparwent reason, or when they don't want me to pick them up. maybe that's what it is?

4. VOX

i dont know but it was like jelly, not really runny. she has also been like not really sneezing but like blowing her nose, somtime 3-5 times in a row....or is she really sneezing? She also does the blowing her nose thing in her water bowl. Shes eating and drinking just fine.....

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    She may have something blocking part of the nasal passage making her sneezy. Is her breathing fine otherwise?

6. VOX

ok i see now that one side of her nose is getting clogged, i removed some of it last night thinking it was food, seems to have came back....what is causing this to happen..anyone?

7. VOX

I might have solved the problem. I switched her water bowl, i noticed that her old water bowl wasent deep enough for her to clear out her nasel passage therefor she was getting food stuck in her nose, i switched her water bowl out with a very big/deep one ( shes going to make a big big mess playing in it). I did notice she was breathing funny and i cleared her nose out very carefully and now shes doing great, still wonder what in the h*ll that jelly stuff was. She has never had a runny nose or any sign of sickness so....ima keep an extremely close eye on her just to be on the safe side and if i have to ill rush her to the vet and get her checked out.

8. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Good to hear you are so concerned about your duckie...But I think you may have solved your own problem this time. Being able to wash their face and nostril is important- so hopefully now there will be no more sneezing or jelly in the nose ... See how she goes over the next few hours...and update on here if you find works so someone can suggest other things for you to consider.

9. VOX

YAY Ducky all better [​IMG].......Shes really talking this morning......

This is Pearl [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Is that Gilbert's new name, Pearl? Wow, she's beautiful! I still can't tell what breed she is, though. Her nails look as long as a muscovy, but she doesn't have the long tail that they have. And, she stands up straight, too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by