Is my easter egg hen or rooster? Help!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by itsoheather, Nov 11, 2016.

1. itsoheather

itsoheather New Egg

Nov 11, 2016
    [​IMG]

This is my first time owning chickens as my city has just made backyard chickens legal. When i had bought my 3 hens at 4 weeks old back in september the website said that all chickens had been sexed by professional but my easter egg chicken sounds like she is starting to crow and is constantly bullying my silver wyandotte and red star. We have no rooster as they are illegal in my city so if she turns out to be one im not sure what we are going to be able to do. I have read that sometimes a hen will take the rooster role but want to be sure she is a hen. None of my chickens have started to lay yet.
    Thank you for your help [​IMG]

2. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

That is a Cockerel/Rooster for sure.....

Sorry!

Cheers!

3. PrettyChickens

PrettyChickens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 11, 2016
    Hi itsoheather.
    It is possible that a hen can take a Rooster role but unlikely.
    What time in the day does your hen/rooster sound like its crowing? You can check for little nobs above the hen/roosters highest toe. Roosters develop 2 to 4 inch spurs that are used for fighting other roosters. Does it seam like your hen/rooster hangs out with one of your ladies more often then all the other hens? It would really help if you could send in some close up pics right above the tail of your suspected rooster and its neck feathers. in those areas devolope special rooster feathers called hackles and sickles. The sickles are really long feathers that almost touch the ground right above the roosters tail feathers. The people who sex the chickens can mess up some times:) Usally easter eggers are extremely nice chickens and the roosters are pretty nice. I hope this helped.[​IMG]

4. JurassicBawk

JurassicBawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2016
    Hixson, TN
    100% rooster. Only males have the deep red splotches on the wings and the long thin saddle feathers near the base of the tail.

Sorry. I had to deal with the same thing, getting sexed Easter Egger females then one turning out to be a rooster. I finally found a home to take him, but it took awhile, and I'm not allowed to have roosters where I live either. Good luck.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016
  5. rebrascora

rebrascora Overrun With Chickens

Feb 14, 2014
    Consett Co.Durham. UK
    As others have said, that is a cockerel, no doubt about it. Crock pot time![​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

Sexing chickens is only about 90% accurate. Looks like you hit the odds wrong [​IMG]. That's a young rooster, no doubt.

I'd start looking for a new home for him. Around here, it's hard to literally give Easter egger cockerels away, so I butcher mine. You're probably not ready for that step, especially if he's been raised as a pet. It may take a while to find someone to take him, and be aware he may well end up in someone's pot. There's just not a bunch of forever homes for all the roosters.

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    100% rooster

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by