1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my easter egger pullet actually a boy?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by SEA24, Mar 29, 2016.

1. SEA24

SEA24 New Egg

Mar 29, 2016
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    Hi! I'm new here and we're very new to having chickens. We have 1 chick, an easter egger, who is much bigger than all the others. They were all the same size and age when we bought them. This one is pretty aggressive and just won't leave the other chicks alone. She's always jumping on their backs and pushing them around. We've started wondering if SHE might actually be a HE. Or maybe she's just a bully? Is there any way to tell at only 3 weeks?
    Any advice would be greatly appreciated!Thanks so much!

2. SEA24

SEA24 New Egg

Mar 29, 2016
    [​IMG]

3. BaileyMChicks

BaileyMChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2015
    Wisconsin
    I think it's a cockerel because of the comb(it had 3 rows of 'peas' and they're fairly big for the age I think) and the color. I've heard that on EEs the males tend to feather in more black and white, but that is not always the case.

1 person likes this.
  4. SEA24

SEA24 New Egg

Mar 29, 2016
    Thanks. That's what we were afraid of. We're in the city limits and roosters aren't allowed. And of course this chick is my daughter's favorite. How long until it starts crowing?

5. Hi SEA24!
    I have had to deal with Rosters in the city as well. The age that a cock starts crowing is dependent on the breed. When you put him/her outside with the others you will have to keep an ear out for him/her if he starts crowing. Hope that this helped you!

1 person likes this.
  6. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    That is a whole lot of comb for such a young chick. Cockerel.

1 person likes this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    agree

1 person likes this.
  8. ftfarmer22

ftfarmer22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2016
    Oregon
    I say a cock as well. Wait a few weeks then post a picture to clarify. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by