Is my EE going to be broody or just a nest hog?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nicole01, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My oldest EE is a pain when laying an egg. No other chicken can use the other nest boxes while she is laying. She is not even top hen, so I don't really know how she gets away with it. Sometimes I need to lock her out of the coop to let another lay an egg or she pecks and draws blood.(I do make her wait to lay her egg when this happens). When she is not trying to lay an egg, she will then let the others lay theirs. I have 3 nest boxes for my 8 girls.

This past week or so, my oldest EE has been sitting on everyone else's egg after they've been laid every time. There never is more then one egg at a time in the nest, I do collect the eggs through out the day. Now I'm catching her sitting in the nest with no egg once in a while too. I do kick her out and not let her sit in there.

I thought EE's rarely went broody. Perhaps she just feels like she is queen of the nest boxes or is this signs of broodiness?

2. KDK1

KDK1 Chillin' With My Peeps

One of my PRs acted like that when in her first month or so of laying. She would come off the nest and run off anyone who attempted to enter the coop while she was laying/setting, whatever she was doing. All the others quickly learned not to enter the coop while she was in there. Everything is just fine now though.

3. luvinmychickens

luvinmychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Ohio
    It could be broody. If not, I don't know. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by