Is my EE hen a dud?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Englewood, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Englewood

Englewood Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2011
    I have a 7 month EE hen that has never layed an egg. I also have a rooster and another hen (that lays) that are the same age, along with 5 other hens that are over a year old that all lay. They eat Layena pellets and are quite healthy. The EE's comb has never turned red, but her growth doesn't seem to be stunted in any other way. Is she just a dud or does anyone think that she will eventually lay?

2. nakstk

nakstk Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    My EE is 31 weeks 2 days(7mo 5 days). She hatched out the 25th of April and she hasn't started laying yet either. :( I am beginning to think the same thing. I have read many times that EE take longer then other breeds. My 2 Wellies I got at the same time started laying in Oct. I guess we will just have to keep waiting.

3. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    In my experience anywhere from 4-8 months is in the normal range for most breeds. 6 months is a good general average but every bird matures a little different. I wouldn't consider her late late yet. I think you still have time.

Remember that laying feed is may for birds that are already laying it does not help birds start laying.

If it makes you feel any better I have a silkie that will be a year soon and still no eggs. lol But, breed and genetics are big factors and silkie lay late.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  4. nakstk

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    I think it would be very difficult to regulate which bird ate which food. With only one pullet not laying you couldn't segregate her from the flock to feed her non layer feed with out a fuss from the rest. I have read as long as, you are not adding Oyster shell for added calcium in with the feed they are fine eating the layer pellets after they are 20 weeks. I keep it(oyster shell) as free choice and I have yet to see my EE eat any of it.

I have noticed a difference in her behavior this last week though. She does not seem to be a freaked out and run away from me as much. I am hoping that's a sign she will be laying soon. She is still not squatting though.

Englewood I find it odd that at 7months your EE's not reddened up yet. Could you add a pic of her?

5. kahlua

kahlua Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2011
    NJ
    One of my EE's just started laying at 8.5 months old.
    I have two that are about a month younger, the face of one of the two is starting to turn red, but nothing on the other yet.

I'm thinking the changes in season/daylight are probably not helping :(

6. nakstk

Sep 19, 2011
    Kalama, Washington
    that's what I am figuring it is. Lack of day light hours. Sunrise is 7:30am and sunset is 4:29pm today. Plus with all the dark cloud cover and rain here it doesn't help much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by