Is my egg pipped?

niamh07

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 11, 2014
It's around 12/13 hours since I saw a small patch on my egg, a little piece of shell maybe a quarter inch no more has dropped but the "skin" appears to still be intact, but nothing else. You can hear the chick peeping and sometimes the egg looks like it's vibrating so I'm guessing it's tapping away inside. Long story but it's my first egg. What shall I do. I'm worried it'll run out of air, aren't they supposed to peck a hole then they can breathe through it and then have a rest. Please can anyone Help
1f630.png

Last edited:
can you post a picture? it might be easier for people to help you if we could see what it's like

Hi and thanks for replying

After reading loads of posts I candled and then very carefully peeled back the little bit of membrane that was where the chick had pecked. About an hour and a half later I looked and the holed had been pecked bigger and a fair bit of cracked shell was there. During the night I checked and the shell was in two halves and the chick was catching some zzzzzzs a few inches from it. It's now got a good set of lungs and is wobbling round quite happily

Thanks to everyone on here who posts questions and replies that are still on here for folk like me to read

im sorry but I don't know how to post a piccie but the chick is the cutest ever, and I'm sure everyone thinks that about their chicks
2728.png

im so glad it worked out

Thank you, I think it's a she, chick is extremely sturdy, and has the best set of lungs which she used all day her first day. She's calmed now, makes tours of her brooder set up and cuddles up with a couple of rolled up socks and a small cuddly toy, she has a mirror in there and she peeps to herself quite chattily
1f49d.png

Back
Top Bottom