Is my favorite a boy :-(

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by S.L.Swope, Dec 1, 2011.

1. S.L.Swope

S.L.Swope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    San Antonio
    I can't have a rooster where I'm at and am afraid my Blue Copper Marans chick that I bought straight run from a breeder is a boy.She/he is a few days shy of 4 weeks old and has started to get red in comb. I have others that are 4 and 5 weeks old that have nowhere near this much color and slighty smaller combs. They are all different breeds so I don't know if the Marans develope faster thean my BO, Cucukoo Marans, RIR, BR, and Amereacuana. She/he is smaller than the rest but has more color and comb.

Here he/she is
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and for comparisons sake a BR that is 4 weeks old sexed as a pullet at ideal
    [​IMG]

2. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I would not compare between different breeds when trying to sex. All of mine have matured differently, both between breeds and between individuals. I've heard marans are notable early on, so hopefully someone can give you an affirmative one way or another.

3. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    My fav. was a boy. He is 9 weeks old. I cant have him were I live. But I'm gonna try to. Good luck.

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    give me a few. i have 3 fbcm that are 3 weeks old all developing differently. im posting pics onto photobucket for the chick sexing project they have on here. i think i have to pullets and a cockreal

5. tabithatoo

tabithatoo Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2011
    New Roads, LA
    Looks like a boy to me. Sorry.

6. PoultryQueen29

PoultryQueen29 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    If you cant have roos because of crowing you can always find a vet that will take chickens and have it decrowed. At first I said no way to doing that but now i'm considering it because I cant have crowing but I really want a roo!

7. moodlymoo

moodlymoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2011
    Portland OR
    Looks like a boy but you can have him caponized (SP)

8. farmerChef

farmerChef Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern Georgia
    My Coop
    Quote:Decrow a rooster??? What do they do, remove their voice boxes?

Caponizing a rooster isn't like getting your dog or cat neutered. Their testicals are small and located just under the spine, right next to a large artery, if you nick if, they die. Someone who doesn't. Do it very often or is new at it, has a high chance of losing the bird.

9. S.L.Swope

S.L.Swope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    San Antonio
    yeah I would not decrow the cutie. I love the sound but promised my neighbors I wouldn't get one if they kept quite about my chicks [​IMG] They all thought it was a great idea to have them! Hens that is:lol:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by