1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my flock all hens?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by EMS2005, Sep 13, 2016.

1. EMS2005

EMS2005 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2013
    Georgia
    Ok well not all, because a couple were being difficult to photograph. I've got 8 birds that are about 17 1/2 weeks old.
    My husband teases me saying they're all roosters. :D No crowing yet, though. Let me know what you think and if better pictures are needed, I'll do my best to get some.

[​IMG]
    Three of my four New Hampshire Reds and one of my three Barred Rocks
    The Barred Rock looks potentially rooster-like
    The Reds sort of worry me too, but not as bad; in online pics I've seen, the roos are obvious-looking.
    The fourth one has beautiful neck feathers, but it's the smallest of the bunch

[​IMG]
    A close up of the Rock in question--it's the tail feathers that make me wonder, but also the comb and wattles seem slightly more pronounced and redder than the other two Rocks.

[​IMG]
    One of my other Rocks for comparison; the third one looks just like this one.

[​IMG]
    My lone Buff Orpington.

2. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    all pullets

3. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    All girls. The wonky tail feather is the result of a juvenile molt. If you notice, those are the only proper tail feathers left. And you see how slim they are? That's because they are from back when she was a baby. Once she's done growing in the new, grown up sized tail feathers, she'll be ready to start laying.

4. EMS2005

EMS2005 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2013
    Georgia
    Thanks! My husband may still tease me, though. ;) I wouldn't mind a rooster down the road, if I continue with future flocks, but for now, I'm relieved. :)

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    all girls [​IMG]

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Pullets

7. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Agree, all pullets. Btw.. I love my NHR. Had two, but dog killed one. Very friendly, sweet birds. Consistent layers, too.

8. CiceroXY

CiceroXY Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2016
    Italy
    All pullets [​IMG]

9. X2!your lucky, all little itty bitty pullets!

10. henny1129

henny1129 Crazy Livestock Gal

Mar 21, 2016
    Ohio!
    Agree with the others, all pretty pullets! Love the black in the New Hampsire's tails, so pretty! And all the Buff Orpingtons I've experienced are the sweetest things, so I hope yours turns out just as sweet. :)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by