1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Is my frizzled cochin a cockerel or pullet?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by armdchicken, Mar 24, 2012.

1. armdchicken

armdchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    Just wondering if it is a pullet or not (also just wondering if she is going to be okay because of her feet:
    [​IMG]And here are her/his feet:
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. armdchicken

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    if you need a full body pic let me know

3. ladychicken&Ducklover

ladychicken&Ducklover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Champion, Michigan
    Hi there..

From what I can see, looking at your last pic of the right foot, I think I see the beginning of a spur.

It could be a toe, but from that angle, thats what it looks like.

Its not to say its not a girl, however, since some hens, pullets, can have some small spurs.

As for the baby's feet...poor thing, eh?

My personal feelings would tend toward keeping the baby in a separate pen But ....with a sweet chicken friend so it wont be lonely..

Just to keep it as safe as possible since it will be Alot more defenseless amongst other birds.

Anyway, these are my opinions, and I am in No way an expert, just someone with 1 1/2 years experience combined with my personal feelings about a bird that is or will be, more defenseless than other birds..

Hope this helps..

DD

4. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    without knowing how old it is I'm leaning towards cockerel. What happened to it's feet? Frostbite?

5. armdchicken

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    Are you talking about the bumps on his legs? Because i noticed that all chicks have those. Also thanks for the advice about separating her. So far she is doing good with the other chicks. Her and my cockerel (both 7 weeks) have been chest bumping eachother a lot...so maybe if things get too rough i might separate her and but the dutch (5 weeks) in with her...

6. armdchicken

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    She is 7 weeks (sorry forgot to put age) and she arrived to use like that so no clue what happened exactly...

7. Highlander

Highlander Tartan Terror

Oct 1, 2008
    Prague
    At 7 weeks then i would say definite cockerel.

8. ladychicken&Ducklover

ladychicken&Ducklover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Champion, Michigan

X2

9. armdchicken

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    Ok...so i guess we ended up with two pullet cochins and 2 cockerel cochins [​IMG] Oh well...i could never sell either cockerel so will they be okay to keep together? We have other girls for them (not just the 2 cochins) and they will be free ranging...I would feel horrid if the frizzle got half-killed because i decided to keep 2 cockerels....so will it be best just to sell one?

10. armdchicken

Jan 8, 2012
    Fairbanks, alaska
    Or do you think that the other cockerel would kill the frizzle when they get older?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by