Is my garden big enough?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by 688peterl, Oct 10, 2009.

1. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    I worked out that run im gonna build will be 40 square foot, and the duck house which will probably be a dog kennel, will go into the actual run....

My garden is split into 2 different sections because of raised wooden decking and the 40 square foot duck house will take up half of that easily, so the decking is about 80 square foot. I was thinking of keeping the decking just for the ducks, so they will be on the decking most of the time, this is because the decking is raised and you cant get on the decking without opening the gate and i thought this would be a good way of keeping my dog away from the ducks, the ducks will be able to go where they want when they want but only if i know where the dog is, i know the dog will be ok with the ducks if i am there with them because he doesnt do anything that he is told not to so if i tell him to leave them alone he will, but id rather not leave him with the ducks unsupervised. so..... is 80 square foot enough space for a few ducks? i say a few i mean a minimum of 2 and a maximum of 3? And the ducks will be indian runners.. thanks!

2. nettie

nettie Enslaved by Indoor Ducks

Nov 20, 2008
    Chicago, IL
    ducks at a minimum need 10sq feet each of run space, and 4sq feet each of coop space... so on average it's 14sq feet per duck... 80 sq feet would be more than enough for 2-3 runners. my runners are house pets and they only get 28sq feet between the two of them.

3. 688peterl

688peterl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    Quote:oh thank god for that! Im so relieved! my ducks will mostly be house pets, all i have to do now is wait for the hatch, im only on day 3! btw the woman i bought the eggs from told me her runners were trout? i didnt even know they came in trout lol do you have any pics of a trout duck/ling

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by